Back in April I assembled this collection featuring “10 of Kathy Shaidle’s Greatest Hits.” Now today I present this collection organizing more broadly my favorites of her articles and blog posts by subject.
A realization dawned today: Kathy is the writer I’ve worked with the longest. We’ve had occasional breaks here and there as projects have shifted but it’s been five years now, with the last 3 at PJ. And Kathy has consistently churned out one memorable piece after another in service of a very substantive media and cultural critique. She’s become one of my biggest influences and inspirations on new media and culture. When young writers ask for suggestions in developing a writing career in today’s new media world I hold her up as a prime example. Her articles and her approach are filled with wisdom.
- Make Way for Movies for Grown-Ups
- Movies for Grown-Ups, Part 2: Dodsworth and the Shame of Age
- Movies for Grown-Ups: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
- Movies for Grown Ups: Seconds (1966)
- Art, Lust, and Doing the Dishes: The Controversy of Scarlet Street
- 5 Reasons Star Wars Actually Sucks
- God Bless America? Remembering 1993′s Falling Down
- Talk Sixties, Act Fifties: The Ice Storm
- 4 Ways My Moviegoing Habits Changed After I Grew Up
- Nurse Ratched, My Hero: 4 Female Movie Villains I Love
- The 3 Most Poisonous Movie Clichés of the 60s and 70s
- I Liked Scrooge Better Before: 3 Christmas Movies I Hate
- Special Effects Unplugged: Movie Magic Before Computers
- Yippie-Kay-25th-Birthday Die Hard
- I Was a Communist for the FBI a Half-Century Later
- Will Roger Ebert Biopic Be a Big Bust?
- 10 Movies Millennials Must See to Understand the 1970s
- 6 Reasons The Who Is Better Than That Stupid Band You Like
- Vengeance Is Mine: The 5 Best Revenge Songs
- 6 Classic Recordings That Have No Business Existing (Part One)
- 6 Classic Recordings That Have No Business Existing (Part Two)
- The 5 Most Overrated Male Musicians, Part One
- The 5 Most Overrated Male Musicians, Part Two
- The 3 Most Overrated Female Musicians
- The Other Bono: Remembering Sonny (and the Pre-Crazy Cher)
- Keep Cat Stevens Out of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Give ‘Em Enough Rope Turns 35 (Part One)
- Give ‘Em Enough Rope Turns 35 (Part Two)
- The Once-Unimaginable Occurs: David Bowie Turns 67
- Neil Young Doubles Down on the Crazy
- Never Mind the Beatles: America Met the Clash 35 Years Ago This Week
- The Top 3 Myths About Beatlemania
- Rock Around the Clock: How 2 Movies Made Musical History
- 10 Obscure Songs That Should Have Been Hits
- Why David Letterman Has (Almost) Always Creeped Me Out
- The 3 Best Monty Python Sketches (Aren’t Necessarily the Funniest)
- Lessons on Being a Grown-Up from… Vincent Price?
- Murdoch Mysteries: The Un-Breaking Bad
- Michael Palin: Monty Python Would Never Mock Islam
- TV’s 3 Most Admirable Post-Modern Cartoon Characters
- Grown Men Don’t Read Comic Books: Here’s an Alternative (That Might Just Save America)
- Grown Women Don’t Read Twilight: Here’s an Alternative (That Just Might Save America)
- 3 Reasons Higher Education Is Broken — and How To Fix It
- ‘That’s the Ultimate Race, Poor People’: In Praise of Adam Carolla’s Brutal Honesty
- Ann Coulter’s Mugged: A (Mostly) Frank Monologue About Race — Part 1
- Mugged and Ann Coulter Derangement Syndrome, Part 2
- 5 Controversial Ways to Enjoy the Decline of America
- Conrad Black Still Loves You, America (In Spite of Everything)
- Conrad Black Still Loves FDR (In Spite of Amity Shlaes)
- Conrad Black, Nixon, and the Red Scare: The Flight of the Eagle Concludes
- The 11 Best Ideas in Adam Carolla’s Hilarious New Book
Punk Rock and Counterculture
- Kinkos Goes To College: University of Iowa Acquires Zine Collection
- The BBC Sex Scandals and the Birth of Punk
- Farewell, Pussycat: Remembering Cult Movie Actress Haji
- Takin’ the Freight Elevator to the Incinerator: Joe Strummer and 9/11
- Vampira: Beatnik, Goth, Punk
- Altamont: When the Hippies Were Expelled From the Garden
- Miley Cyrus: Punk of the Year? Almost. (Seriously.)
- Patti Smith: The Paula Deen of Punk?
- When John and Yoko Took Over the Mike Douglas Show
- Hitchcock’s Rope and Gay ‘Rights’
- Happy 59th Birthday, Nina Hagen
- What Is Your Damage, Heathers?
- A Life Based on ‘Crossing the Street’
Crime and Death
- Mommie Dearest, Brothers Grimm: Thinking about Cleveland’s House of Horrors
- Raining on the Nelson Mandela Parade
- Sound Familiar? Rapist-Murderer Complains He’s Misunderstood
- Is Death Still a Great Career Move?
- Dead Celebrities Pitch Beer, Chocolate, and Bad Taste
- ‘Hurricane’ Carter: Fact vs. Fiction
- If Jack the Ripper Was Jewish, Does It Matter?
- ‘This Would Be Heaven For Me’: An Evening with Dennis Prager and Adam Carolla
- Catholic Nuns: An Idea Whose Time Has Gone?
- The Imaginary Rabbi and the Dead End Kid: Another Evening with Dennis Prager and Adam Carolla
- Yelling at Each Other About Robin Williams, Ann Coulter, Death, and God
- George Carlin Wasn’t Funny: The Top Five Most Overrated Liberal Comedians
- ‘Long Story Short’: Colin Quinn’s 75-Minute History of the World
- That’s Not Funny: The 5 Biggest Comedy Taboos
- Del Close Marathon Ignores Improv Guru’s Occult Obsessions
- Carolla vs. Kindler: When Jealous Losers Attack
- Sam Kinison Biopic Back on Track With New Star
- Stand-Up Comic vs. Air Force Colonel: Who’s the Real Joker?
- Behind the Scenes: Jerry Lewis’ ‘Holocaust Clown’ Movie
- Dave Chappelle and Heckling as the New ‘Racism’
- ‘Comedy Gives Back’ Proves People Can Make a Difference — But Not the Way They Expected
- Dean Martin Roasts: Remembrance of Zings Past
- Finally: A Comedian Who Refuses to Apologize
- BREAKING: Stand-Up Comedians Are Crazy
Relationships and Gender
- Mean Girls: Why Are Women Turning Against Tina Fey?
- How Women Ruin Romance by Talking Too Much
- 3 (Conservative) Reasons to Admire Helen Gurley Brown
- Shoes, Sheetrock, and the Skipper: 3 Surprising Things That Make a Man Sexy
- Meet Matt Graber, Your New Leftwing Heartthrob!
- Confessions of a Failed Slut
- How to Be the Perfect Wife in 3 Easy Steps
Life Reflections and Career Advice:
- Why Skipping College Was One of the Smartest Decisions of My Life
- Talent Isn’t Everything: 5 Secrets to Freelance Success
- In the Future Will Everyone Really ‘Have To Become an Entrepreneur’?
- I Kid You Not: The Top 4 Reasons I Don’t Have Children
- No One Is Ever ‘Just Kidding’
- If I Were Queen: My First 3 Acts Upon Becoming Your Beloved Empress For Life
- The Poor Get Poorer: 3 Character Traits That Undermine Prosperity
- The 47% Solution: Yes, If You’re Poor, It Really May Be Your Fault
- Jobs Are for Suckers: How to Be the Boss of You
- No One Who Works Indoors Needs a Union
- We All Wondered What Happened
- 50 Is the New Crappy
- 3 Things Getting Lupus Taught Me
Tips on Writing, Technology, the Internet, and New Media Success
- Steve Jobs: The Other Man in My Marriage
- 3 Rules for Handling the Online Trolls, Bullies, and Crackpots
- 3 Turning Points in the History of Blogging
- Gravity Doesn’t ‘Card’: Cyber Bullys and the Laws of the Universe
- The ‘Me’ in Social Media: The ONLY Online Etiquette Rule You’ll Ever Need
- 3 Tips for ‘Owning’ Your Name on Google’s First-Page Results
- How To Boost Your Blog By Going ‘Under the Hood’
- Know Your (Copy)rights: Tips for Writers and Bloggers
- The Chestnut Diet: How To Cut Cliches Out of Your Writing
- The 5 Best Security and Privacy Tools for Your Mac
- 3 Pro Secrets to Double Your Freelance Writing Income in 2 Years
- 3 Weird Things About the U.S. This Pro-American Canadian Doesn’t Get
- Dispatch from Canada: 146th Birthday Edition
- Justin Trudeau: Canada’s (Future) Pothead PM?
- Canada Asks Muslims: When Will You Stop Beating Your Wives?
- An Unlikely Canadian Hero’s Tale of Non-Violent Defiance
- So I Guess I Have to Talk About Rob Ford, Huh?
- Economic Freedom: Canadian Province Beats Out All 50 States
- Father of the Canadian Flag Dies, Aged 96
- Is Canada Becoming the Proving Ground for Eco-Terrorism?
- The Truth About The Greatest Generation
- The 3 Most Destructive Members of the ‘Greatest Generation’
- The 3 Biggest Myths About Generation X
- Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation: 6 Gen-Xers I Can Actually Stand (Part One)
- Talkin’ ‘Bout My Generation: 6 Gen-Xers I Can Actually Stand (Part Two)
- Gen X Dream Girl Phoebe Cates Turns 50