So I Guess I Have to Talk About Rob Ford, Huh?

I live in Toronto. I'm sick of hearing about Mayor Rob Ford, too. But there's just one more thing...

Kathy Shaidle

November 12, 2013 - 7:00 am

rob-ford2-toronto
Rob Ford is the mayor of Toronto, which means he’s my mayor, too.

If you’re sick of hearing about his crack-smoking, crazy-acting escapades, put yourself in my Sorels:

This real-life reality show has been playing out almost non-stop for years now, ever since the day Ford was elected in a landslide.

Get in the car, turn on the TV, walk past the newspaper boxes, and there it is again:

Rob Ford yelled at this person and broke some ethics rule (or maybe not) and was videotaped staggering around drunk at a street festival and so on and so forth.

As far as the Canada’s establishment elite are concerned, even if Rob Ford had never done any of the things they’ve accused him of, he’s committed far more serious crimes anyhow:

He’s not the most articulate guy in public life.

His family owns a pretty successful business.

He talks a lot about cutting taxes and spending.

And worst of all:

He’s fat. (I’m not kidding: Just watch the video below.)

But now Rob Ford has admitted, on camera, on the record, to smoking crack.

Sounds like a game changer, if not ender.

That's okay. Don't bother on my account. Since Trudeau showed Canadians The Way, they haven't cared about much except how tolerant and forgiving they can be. They'll forgive Ford and go on with a drunk, crack-head wannabe for a mayor. They're the perfect representative of the New Western morality/Anglican "we stand for nothing except inclusion, and that means moral deviants and evil of all kinds (because who are we to judge?), including Muslim terrorists who want to kills us all" crowd.
Better a conservative crackhead than a sober socialist.
"I love the sound of hundreds of socialist heads exploding at dusk as the returns come in."

That's certainly a mature and well-considered basis for making electoral choices, but I think you're mistaken about the source of that popping noise. It's actually the sound of conservative spines snapping as they strain to lower the bar fast enough to stay beneath Rob's ethical standards.

All other considerations aside, the man is an addict in freefalll, still (incredibly) looking for rock bottom. He may be an amusing annoyance to the hippies, but is his value as public spectacle worth his impending collapse?

Perhaps there are even some conservative pundits and bloggers out there who have had to come to terms with addiction themselves. Maybe those folks should reflect on the cost of cheering the mayor on.
What we wouldn't give for a straight talkin', hard drinkin', crack smokin' honest politician! I'd vote for that SOB myself. What do we elect? Lawyers!
If he can work 'crackwhore' into a new twitter account, that fanbase will take off like a plutonium fire and you can never put it out...'>........
Rob Ford had the following strikes against him from Day One:
1. He is conservative in an uber-liberal city.
2. He is fat.
3. He is conservative in an uber-liberal city.
4. He is fat

Shall I go on? I would vote for him again tomorrow over ANY of the freaks that are in Canadian politics today.
Inquiring minds want to know the names!!
My guess for the first question is Layton. Or Svend.
The call girl - ???
SSvend is the open homosexual so he was probably #4.
LLayton was married to Olivia Chow, who has a face that could scare small cchildren and animals so he was probably #1 & 4.
Not sure about #2&3 but since I don't watch CBC or read the Toronto Star, I couldn't care less. Socialist, anti-American rags.
If it was the leader of the party then it has to be Layton as I don't think Svend was ever the NDP leader except as a temp.
Kathy, I stick up for the column written by Rex Murphy, which appeared in the November 9 National Post.

Leave it to those who attack him to insist on one rule for those they are irked by, and something else, when they are irksome.
As noted by Rush Limbaugh...

"He looks like Goldfinger."

He does !
If his Liberal opponent, George Smitherman, an admitted drug addict had have been elected the exact same critics of Ford would be bending over backwards to 'splain it away and tell us how "at least he's not a hypocrite". Because, as we well know, because they possess no moral base, they can never be accused of that.
While, I think Ford is a bit of a buffoon shouldn't his performance as mayor have some bearing on the subject? And even if he's a proven liar, it's not like he's the POTUS is it? But then he only did powder cocaine.
Anyway, I hate Toronto so good on them.
Thanks for explaining the Ford mystique. Knowing nothing about him except for the current brouhaha and seeing the videos on TV, I didn't form an opinion about whether he should stay or go. But I did notice a twinkle in his eye and that he didn't seem to exhibit any narcissistic traits. A politician sans narcissism with a twinkly eye is okay, but learning that he's also a pretty good mayor is a bonus. Re-elect Ford, Toronto!
While you're conflating everything and everyone, try to make some sense will you?
Made sense to me. Even perfect sense.
1 2 Next View All