6 Classic Recordings That Have No Business Existing (Part Two)

More beloved records that were made under bizarre circumstances.

Kathy Shaidle

February 26, 2013 - 7:00 am
YouTube Preview Image

Click here for Part One.

#3 — “Takin’ Care of Business” (1973) by BTO

Some Canadians consider the old “Hockey Night In Canada” theme song their country’s “other” national anthem.

However, just as many would probably vote for this accidental tune by Bachman- Turner Overdrive.

(FYI: “American Woman” — our other other anthem — was improvised, too, at a gig at a curling rink after Randy broke a guitar string.)

Alas, the best version of this classic story is only available to premium subscribers to Dennis Miller’s radio show.

But it’s almost worth $50 just to surf along with Miller’s contagious enthusiasm as Bachman — a great storyteller as well as musician — relates this mini-epic saga as only he can.

YouTube Preview Image

"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" was one of my favorite songs from the 60's and "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is maybe the best tear jerking feel sorry for yourself song about unrequited love ever recorded.
The ironic thing is, probably the best known version of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" is Joan Baez' cover.
Ugh. BTO was (is) god-awful.
There isn't much (besides rap) that can make me change radio stations faster than "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" with it's rip-off of The Who's stutter from "My Generation," made all the worse by the singer's nasal delivery.

I saw them in concert once when they were opening for Van Halen (this was a long time ago). Seeing three fat beer guts rolling around the stage didn't improve my opinion, especially when they were barely competent at playing that three-chord garbage.

And before I forget, the Guess Who sucked, too.
I'm confused. The Band recorded their album in Woodstock, New York. which was a "15-minute drive from where Sharon Tate got murdered?" The SR-71 Blackbird couldn't get cross-country that fast!
Only Radar Love is a worse expression of pop trash than Takin' Care of Business. Bachmann was a fine song writer and the Guess Who were never the same after he left, but for me, this is not a shining moment.
Lists like this are the work of writers who have too much content to put out and nothing to say. It must be tough being part of the same Blog as Richard Fernandez and Victor Davis Hanson who never lack interesting ideas.
American Woman really pisses me off. It fully encapsulates the the hypocrisy of anti-Americans.

You don't like America, then fine, don't tour here. Don't license your music to play on American radio stations.

But hey, wait, I guess you do need America after all.

Listening to The band is slow death by monotony- this is the "music" you get by encouraging heroin addicts.
Enjoyed Bachman very much. Excellent raconteur. It is nice to hear that special ed teachers benefit from his fine song -- TCB.

I have always their music with Motorcycle Clubs.