The 5 Most Overrated Male Musicians, Part Two

They're pompous. They're pretentious. They gave themselves stupid nicknames. Everybody loves them -- except for me.

Kathy Shaidle

April 30, 2013 - 7:00 am

Last time around, I started quite a conversation about the merits, or lack thereof, of Pink Floyd and Bob Marley.

Now we’re dispatching three additional sacred musical cows to the slaughterhouse:

#3: Stevie Wonder

At the risk of wandering into Elvis Costello territory — yes, he really did say this — I’m gonna come right out with it:

If Stevie Wonder wasn’t black and blind, there’s no way he’d be as highly esteemed as he is.

A white guy who named himself “Wonder” would never hear the end of it. Instead, we never hear the end of Stevie’s songs, especially on American Idol.

OK, so that’s not his fault, but you know what is?

Besides The Secret Life of Plants and “I Just Called To Say I Love You” and “Ebony and Ivory”?

The song below.

I’m indebted to David Stubbs for putting my incoherent dislike of Songs in the Key of Life into words:

“Isn’t She Lovely” transcribes to vinyl every last icky-cooing dollop of sentimental gloop to which once-sentient adults are reduced when they have babies and, true to the album’s form, lasts longer than purgatory. Several minutes into this, with no light at the end of the tunnel of choruses, King Herod seems like one of the Bible’s more engaging and reasonable characters. “I Wish” contains the most ridiculously misty-eyed and excruciatingly doggerel-ridden reminiscence on childhood.

And while I'm hating on Dave Matthews.

What's the difference between a Dave Matthews Band Fan and a Jehovah's Witness?

A Jehovah's Witness will eventually give up trying to convert you.
Nicely done. Bruce is a total phony. Blue collar, sorry, 'Working Class' music for people who have seen 'The Deer Hunter'
I think Springsteen likes to see himself as Woody Guthrie (who at least "walked the walk" as well as "talking the talk"). He's more like Berthold Brecht and not in a good way. According to Paul Johnson in his book, "Intellectuals", Brecht affected a pose as a "People's Artist" while wearing tailored "working men's clothes" and living in a posh apartment in an exclusive neighborhood in East Berlin reserved for upper-level Communist Party officials (Brecht also had a Swiss bank account). Seeing that picture of Springsteen in his button-down plaid shirt with the sleeves torn off and his bandanna made me think of some lame Will Ferrell "SNL" sketch where the Springsteen character is railing at his broker over a cell phone between sets.
I'd have added The Beatles to this list. Not one mention of them in all the comments.

Come on! She loves you ya ya ya? Not exactly great writing.
The only music truly defined by who doesn't like it is the music you never heard.
Bono is the king of poseurs, an overrated singer and an egomaniac. He feels entitled to lecture Presidents and Prime Ministers about his lefty misconceptions (ie lecturing Paul Martin, Canada's then-PM, on the need for African debt forgiveness), while moving U2 to the Netherlands for more favorable tax treatment. He gives Irish blowhards a bad name.
Check out his pathetic attempt to 'duet' with the wonderful blues choir on "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" from Rattle and Hum. Sickening.
Springsteen: Couldn't agree more. Over hyped and over rated.
Nicely done, Kathy. I agree about Springsteen post Nebraska, but Born to Run really was a new, distinct, cool sound when it came out and Darkness was a great album. I have never understood why people think Eric Clapton is "God." I think his music is boring in the extreme and he doesn't sing well. And I know this is heresy, but I think the Beatles are the most overrated band ever. Rolling Stone has 4 of their albums in the top 10 of all time. There is one good song out of all those albums--I'm Looking Through You--and that's it. So overrated.
It is always a little strange for people who couldn't write a song to save their lives to make claims about who is "better" or "overrated". I never understood why some people love people like Springsteen but he has written at least an album's worth of solid songs over the years.

As a struggling musician/songwriter myself I can tell you that writing a song that millions of people enjoy is not easy in any way. You may not like some of the stuff that gets popular and neither do I, that doesn't mean it is "bad" however.

As for this list, the Doors are not really overrated IMO because there has always been people who don't like them. Personally I think they were great. They have an instantly recognizable sound and Jim Morrison had X-Factor to spare.
My 2¢ and speaking in general terms; Rock stars have a catalogue of music that they are obligated to perform throughout their lives so fans can hear their favorite songs in a live setting. So what happens is we have a burst of amazing creativity from song writers early in their careers. They are influenced by their classical training, eclectic listening and/or their innate genius. After their initial burst of creation they become curators for their own music catalog and they start cannibalizing their own songs and creativity.

I'll use Stevie Wonder as an example. "Innervisions" and "Songs In The Key of Life" were astounding feats of composing and musicianship. After that Stevie became a curator of his music and nothing he's written since comes even close, think "Part Time Lover".

(Springsteen does indeed suck.)
"Unlike a lot of Bruce-haters, I don’t object to Springsteen’s fans at all. I love rabid fandom."
Actually, I don't love rabid fandom. I have never experienced it and I don't believe there has ever been a human being who deserved it. I have derived a great deal of pleasure from the musical gifts of many artists, ranging from Joni Mitchell to Pavarotti- with some thrilling live performances - but it is, after all, music...not eternal life.
I'll agree all are overrated - but each one did have some great songs that endure as classics.

My complaint is against PM more generally, but this article is a prime case in point. Why is it necessary to put it on multiple "pages" requiring extra clicks. Even "view as single page" requires another click, when the entire article and comments fit on one page without undo scrolling.

Is it some scheme to defraud advertisers into thinking there are more eyes than there really are?
This whole thread just shows that people have different tastes.

How utterly unprofound.