‘Hurricane’ Carter: Fact vs. Fiction

And so another violent criminal embraced by the Left has died.

Kathy Shaidle

April 21, 2014 - 8:00 am

button

Believe me: If my mother-in-law didn’t live with us, the sights and sounds of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) would never pollute my home.

But for much of her life, there were only 13 channels, so she habitually switches to the state broadcaster when she can’t find anything else to watch.

That’s how I heard, on Easter Sunday morning, via various noises making their way from our living room television into my office, that Hurricane Carter had died.

Judging solely by the anchor’s somber tone, one would be forgiven for concluding that the deceased had been some great Canadian statesman or artist, not a notorious American boxer and ex-con.

For all their purported sophistication, the Canadian media is embarrassingly parochial. One particularly annoying manifestation of this inward-looking mindset is their habit of conveying “hono(u)rary Canadian” status to any celebrity foreigner with a friendly if tenuous connection to the country.

(Note that these same liberal media types happily mock the Mormon custom of baptizing dead “gentiles” — presuming they’re even aware of it.)

And so CBCNews duly informs us:

Rubin “Hurricane” Carter, the former professional boxer who became an advocate for the wrongly convicted after spending 19 years in prison for a triple murder he didn’t commit, died Sunday in Toronto. He was 76.

Carter’s struggle for freedom and exoneration was made famous in a number of books, a Bob Dylan song and a Hollywood film.

Although born in the U.S., Carter had a special connection to Canada, where he settled following his prison release, which came about with the help of a group of Canadians.

It’s a one-sided, anti-American message the CBC has been pushing for years (using my tax dollars), even on so-called “investigative” programs like The Fifth Estate, which is Canada’s answer to 60 Minutes:

YouTube Preview Image

One need not believe that Carter was the saint he was made out to be in the romanticized Hollywood movie in order to believe there was reasonable doubt about his guilt in the murders of which he was accused.
weirdrepublic.com/episode15.htm

Facts at weird republic on the case are chilling.

The jury was mixed racially, the detective was viciously slandered in the movie, there was NO evidence of racism in the charge, arrest, or conviction and the movie was a festival of lies about the entire case.

Any "reporter" who says "he did not commit" the murders is slapping the faces of all the victims in this heinous disgrace of race baiting and murder.
the feminist left sure has some strange bedfellows. I guess the enemy of my enemy is my friend, just don't turn your back on 'em, eh?

wonder if his conversion to the 'religion of peace' had anything to do w/ his popularity among certain lefties? when I read about his popularity among lefties I went looking for the suspected connections, and guess what? yep. just a another coincidence, I'm sure, the feminist & muslim connection. whowouldathunkit?

0-barry is a feminist too, ya know.

Odd that while the case is supposedly well known and a liberal cause celebre the author does not discuss it at all. As far as specifics go I for one don't know anything about it though I've heard it referred to for decades.
Global national news also referred to Carter as being charged with a murder "he did not commit..."

Those content with whitwashing his past ignore he was convicted twice, and never found not guilty, as the State made the decision not to go to trial for a third time. The murder is still on the books.

A similar case in Canada is the murder of Christine Jack, but her alleged killer, her spouse Brian Jack never got the media support Carter did. And probably rightly so, I've never heard anyone refer to Brian Jack as innocent.
Greetings:

(La Belle) France24 is doing its bit in this regard with both a screen crawl and a couple of (Bad America) sentences probably to "encourager les autres" as some kinds of Canadians might say.