Conrad Black Still Loves You, America (In Spite of Everything)

Lord Black of Crossharbour's unrequited love affair with the USA has survived even imprisonment. A look at his new book, a glance back at some old ones — and the night I came face to face with Hitler in Conrad Black's Toronto mansion.

Kathy Shaidle

June 18, 2013 - 7:00 am

1023warhol

My first visit to Conrad Black’s house should’ve been my second.

Back in the previous century, my gang of Toronto anarcho-peacniks had talked about trekking up to his Bridle Path manse and pouring blood (or something like it) on his front steps.

I don’t recall the reason why. (It was 20+ years ago and I was drunk.)

No doubt one of the newspaper baron’s dailies in the Hollinger chain had printed something “offensive” again.

With his aristocratic bearing, conspicuous wealth, hollow-point vocabulary, and equally imposing wife – glamorous, fiery journalist Barbara Amiel – Black was an easy, all-purpose target.

Thanks to years of lazy misuse, his name had become a meaningless shorthand curse word for Canadian leftists.

Anyhow, I don’t think that nasty plan was ever carried out.

I do know that it was all I could think of many years later — 2006, to be exact — as I tottered up Lord Black’s long, dark driveway in my painfully new, too-high shoes, headed toward a party in honor of Mark Steyn and his then most recent book, America Alone.

I’d been sober for five years, I mused; did that mean I owed Black an “amends” for something I’d only half-thought about doing?

Was it too late to turn around and go back home?

It was. My husband had already driven off into the creepy, silent darkness that is “Millionaires’ Row” after sundown, with orders to rescue me three hours later.

As my heels clicked loudly along the asphalt, I tried to keep my pace steady by humming along to their taps:

YouTube Preview Image

What a mean-spirited SOB you are. How gracious of Shaidle to allow your comments the light of day. You should be half as polite.

Your overt nastiness speaks volumes about yourself.
Actually, by far the most multicultural event I've ever attended was a few years later when I went to a fundraising BBQ at Rob Fords house. Blacks, Asians, Hindus and Sikhs definitely outnumbered whites. But Ford is a "racist" so...

At least I leave the house very occasionally Bulby. Whereas for the last six years or so, your social life has been devoted to stalking me online.

I get paid to write stuff under my own name. You toil in unpaid obscurity. I understand your bitterness, but you could have a great life too if you simply abandoned your leftwing aversions to hard work, bravery and yeah, being successful.

Sorry you're jealous!
"How ironic, I thought, that the most “multicultural” event I’d attended since moving to the big city in my twenties was a “do” at the home of a supposedly “racist,” “fascist” right-wing millionaire."

Given that this "multicultural" encounter consists of "two brown guys and a blind Asian lady", this admission certainly sheds a light on Kathy's life experience beyond her social bubble.

So to summarize, Kathy attended a party with lots of people of whom she's, like, totally in awe of, and they talked to her and were nice to her and stuff.

And this post is the "first of a series". Golly, I for one can't wait. We haven't even heard about the appetizers yet.
Referring to Black's statement, not anything K.S. said:

AFIK, the fascists then spoke of a "new order". "New World Order" is on the Great Seal of the United States.

At any rate, the whole thing is stupid. The USSR having fallen, Bush I had actually managed to get Russia on our side when he did what the UN was formed for - stopping random attmepts at invading other countries to build empiers. And considering that the Iraq/Syrin Ba'ath party was the closest thing to Nazi philosophy today......

(Not that I have any brief for Bush I, the most anti-Israel President in American history.)
I've read that the Latin inscription on the Great Seal (Novus Ordo Seclorum) does not mean "new world order". According to what I understand, the motto (adopted in 1782) was referring to a new American era, beginning in 1776. And the phrase "new world order" is of recent origin -- 20th century. (Interesting though that the fascists only spoke of a "new order", as you point out.)
Stubby fingers. Sorry.
The Daily Telegraph was one of the World's great papers when Conrad Black was the owner and Charles Moore Editor, it is now simply a pile of sh1t PR rag for Cameron's New British Union of Fascists fake Conservative Party.
Oh brother. I think Conrad Black understands America about as well as any British Lord does. (Perhaps that's why he so admires a Barack Hussein Obama -- America's new-found Imperial OverLord).
A good retrospective, Kathy.

I look forward to what else you have to write, because this has the makings of a great serial.

Question: Do you see Lord Black & Ezra Levant combining efforts on a book? Because between the two of them, they have more intellectual horsepower than the community who hate them, because they are different.
One thing thing that stands out with those on the left is that when they die it is as insignificant as when they lived. A mirror and a memory must must haunt them.

Sorry you're jealous!
I'm delighted to hear about your visit to Rob Ford's house, and certainly look forward to your appearance in his next tape. And seriously, I really do think it's terrific that World Net Daily pays you to regurgitate Talk Radio highlights. That's gotta be more fun than the home shopping network product descriptions.

I prefer writing for fun, myself. To be honest, I've found the money a lot better in real estate. But hey...I understand. You gotta eat.

Your overt nastiness speaks volumes about yourself.
Yes, she is a delight, isn't she?
Thanks for this. I have always suspected that Chretien had more than a little to do with Black's downfall. He hated Black and hated the National Post.

Conrad Black and Barbara Amiel are two great people.