This story has been updated. Griffin has released an apology video. Scroll to the bottom to see the update.
We all know this, but it needs to be said. If someone had done anything like this to attack President Obama during the Obama years, the enraged outcries would have reverberated around the world and the swooning media would have pointed to a “climate of hate,” indicting everyone on the right for the outrage. Of course, nothing like this ever happened during the Obama years because people on the Right aren’t as bat-guano insane as people on the Left.
Enter alleged “comedienne” Kathy Griffin.
The comedian posed for the gory shot during a photo session with famed photog Tyler Shields, who’s known for edgy, shocking pics. We got the pic before the release.
During the photo shoot, Kathy joked that she and Tyler would need to move to Mexico once the pics got released, for fear they’d be thrown in prison.
At the very least, she should fear a visit from the Secret Service.
On it! @SecretService has a robust protective intelligence division that monitors open source reporting & social media to evaluate threats
— U.S. Secret Service (@SecretService) May 30, 2017
President Trump’s son Donald Jr. had a great response. “Disgusting but not surprising,” he tweeted. “This is the left today. They consider this acceptable. Imagine a conservative did this to Obama as POTUS?”
Disgusting but not surprising. This is the left today. They consider this acceptable. Imagine a conservative did this to Obama as POTUS? https://t.co/QdghcbIjS7
— Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) May 30, 2017
There’s nothing funny, edgy, relevant, or artistic about what Griffin and Shields have done here. It’s just a sick and stupid expression of their own unhinged hatred of the president.
But it’s only the latest of many unhinged celebrity expressions of Trump Derangement Syndrome:
- “Comedienne” Sarah Silverman called for a military coup against “fascist Trump.”
- Rapper Shad Moss (Bow Wow) threatened to make a sex slave out of Melania Trump.
- YG feat G-Eazy & Macklemore produce the song “FDT (F*ck Donald Trump) Part 2.”
- Rapper Snoop Dog shot a Trump clown in a video.
- Rapper Rick Ross produces music video called “Assassinate Trump like I’m Zimmerman.”
- Avengers director Joss Whedon told fans that President Donald Trump’s administration may kill gay men in a Chechen-like purge, and that he wants “a rhino to f**k Speaker Ryan to death.”
- Madonna fantasized about “blowing up the White House.”
- Bill Maher joked about bringing back would-be presidential assassin John Hinckley and shooting that “motherf***er.”
The man has been in office for less than five months. Give them time — eventually they’ll get around to producing an assassination film like they did for President Bush.
Update: The apology.
“I sincerely apologize,” Griffin said in a video posted on Twitter. “I went way too far. The image is too disturbing, I understand how it offends people, it wasn’t funny, I get it.”
Even Chelsea Clinton had attacked the comedian for her photo.
This is vile and wrong. It is never funny to joke about killing a president. https://t.co/zIiuKoMyFw
— Chelsea Clinton (@ChelseaClinton) May 30, 2017