The war of words between Fox News and Donald Trump that has been simmering since last summer finally reached a boiling point Friday when The Donald called on his supporters to boycott Megyn Kelly and amped up his verbal assaults on the the popular Fox News personality.
Everybody should boycott the @megynkelly show. Never worth watching. Always a hit on Trump! She is sick, & the most overrated person on tv.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 18, 2016
Trump has been obsessed with Kelly since the first Fox News debate last August when she challenged him about his history of making derogatory remarks about women. As if to prove her point, the bombastic billionaire earlier this week sent out a volley of derogatory tweets calling the Fox News host “crazy,” “ridiculous,” “over-rated,” and “unwatchable.”
Fox News responded Friday with a sharply worded statement accusing Trump of making “sexist verbal assaults” against Megyn Kelly.
Donald Trump’s vitriolic attacks against Megyn Kelly and his extreme, sick obsession with her is beneath the dignity of a presidential candidate who wants to occupy the highest office in the land.
Megyn is an exemplary journalist and one of the leading anchors in America — we’re extremely proud of her phenomenal work and continue to fully support her throughout every day of Trump’s endless barrage of crude and sexist verbal assaults. As the mother of three young children, with a successful law career and the second highest rated show in cable news, it’s especially deplorable for her to be repeatedly abused just for doing her job.
Trump’s campaign responded to Fox’s message Friday night with a statement that said in part, “Fox News has begged Mr. Trump to do a prime time special to be broadcast on the Fox Network, not cable, with Megyn Kelly. He has turned them down.”
Fox recently announced plans for Kelly to do a special on the broadcast network in May, but a Fox News spokesperson said Friday night, “No one associated with Megyn Kelly’s upcoming Fox Broadcasting special reached out to Donald Trump for an interview.”
A Fox representative made clear that neither Kelly nor Bill Geddie, the executive producer of the Fox program airing in May, ever reached out to Trump for an interview.
Kelly has kept quiet throughout the many attacks by Trump, a fact the Trump campaign noted in its Friday night statement.
Late Friday, Trump campaign spokeswoman Hope Hicks told the Associated Press that Trump considers Kelly to be “biased” against him.
“Megyn Kelly is a highly overrated reporter and anchor that constantly disparages Mr. Trump with negative and inaccurate reports,” Hicks said in the statement.