It took me a few years to get these. The Cherry Blossom image was easy, the summer was even easier except that the sun rises really early that time of year.
All I remember about that winter shot is how cold it was, the Tidal Basin was frozen and there was snowfall on top of the ice. The cold hurt bad as I waited for the sun to rise.
Very few folks realize that on a good year the Cherry Blossom Trees turn a spectacular fall color when the conditions are just right. Doesn’t happen every year and this was the hardest image to get.
— Mark Baird
Since December of 2013 PJ Lifestyle has been collecting sunrise and sunset photos from contributors, readers, and Instagram. Now we’re going to begin an effort to organize the ongoing collection. New goals:
1. Collect a sunrise from every state in the union.
2. Collect a sunset from as many countries around the world as possible.
3. After getting all 50 states’ sunrises then switch to collecting their sunsets and begin the global sunrises collection.
Updated April 2014: 4. The extraordinary submissions of Mark Baird have inspired a new collection of photographs devoted specifically to our nation’s capital. We’re going to try and organize fantastic sunrise and sunset photos from all the different monuments and scenic views.
The Washington D.C. Collection So Far:
- A Capitol Dome Sunrise
- Sunrise Reflected In the Tidal Basin
- Paddling to Sunrise On the Potomac
- The Sun Rises Over The Spot Where Martin Luther King, Jr. Made History
- A Precisely-Timed Sunrise Shot From Inside the Thomas Jefferson Memorial
- A Pink Sunrise Reflected in the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Sunrise at the Marine Corps Memorial
- Marine Corps Memorial: A Sunrise to Remember Our Nation’s Heroes
- A Superb Sunrise at the Navy-Merchant Marine Memorial
- The World War II Memorial At Sunrise
- 4 Washington D.C. Sunrises Through the Cherry Blossoms
- The Secret of the Lincoln Memorial’s Equinox Sunrises…
- 2 Beautiful Sunrises From the Washington Monument’s Reflecting Pool
- Remembering America’s Heroes as the Sun Rises Over the World War II Memorial
- Why You Should Never Wade In the Reflecting Pool at the Washington Memorial