Dr. Helen

Hypergamy, Cars, and Phone Numbers

March 3rd, 2014 - 11:02 am

shutterstock_170016302

I am still reading Shawn Smith’s book The Woman’s Guide to How Men Think: Love, Commitment, and the Male Mind and came across a section on status and why it is so important to men. Status is important to men because it is important to women. I frequently hear women or even men say that hypergamy, the tendency for women to find mates of higher status, is untrue or rarely true. However, a study on status in the book shows otherwise: In a carefully controlled experiment (Guéguen and Lamy 2012), researchers tested the idea of how important status is to women. They placed men in expensive cars and instructed them to approach women and ask for their phone numbers. Then they had the men do the same thing in medium- and low-status cars.

The results? The men were successful 23.3 percent of the time when women saw them in a high-status car, 12.8 percent of the time when they drove a middle-status car, and 7.8 percent of the time when they drove a low-status car. Clearly, women are monitoring our status, and we’re acutely aware of that fact.

So the next time someone asks for “proof” of hypergamy, now you can just give the statistics of the willingness of women to give out their number to the guy in the Maserati.

****

image courtesy shutterstock / A.KaZaK

I'm pretty sure its true. I did my own experiment yesterday. put on my best white socks, got the mud off my sandals, cleaned up my bicycle and put some new playing cards on the bike's spokes. it worked really good. the ladies were jogging a lot faster to impress me when I approached. when my welfare check gets here, I'm getting a new speedo and muscle shirt. won't be long now until I lasso ms. right. wish me luck.
Dennis Prager: Studies either confirm what common sense suggests or they are usually wrong.
This same study was done eons ago with the same results. But they went one step further they captured some male birds of some species or other and enhanced their coloring with dye. Yup, they mated many times more often. I tried it but the police arrested me less than a block from my house for public nudity... though they admitted the paint job was singular.
See, this is why I look down on psychologists. Obviously the one guy riding this study is the one who got to decide what cars were going to be called "high status." Any car can be expensive. You could well write several theses on the true and false factors that convey status to an automobile, and how those vary through all sorts of groups and areas. For this purpose, you will always end up with a circular definition: What car has status? Why, the one that attracts women, of course. Why? Status.
Ted Bundy did pretty well, too.
Since TV is now filled with many shows staffed by a gaggle of women, my interest in TV. TV bimbos drive me crazy and lower my estimation of women to breed cows.
Food pellets and electric shocks work just fine and cost a lot less.
I think I am less attracted to a man with a fancy car. It just looks like a waste of money and a need for attention. A big truck, on the other hand...
Full well understanding that anecdotes are not data, there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that women are attracted to men with high-status cars. I entertained myself for most of the 1980s cruising the beach in Corpus Christi with my 1965 Corvette. The attention I received from the girls was enough to cure the worst case of low self-esteem.
So if men quit judging me by my weight, I'll quit judging them by their wheels.
No, you won't. It's what you do, and what they do.
Ummm ... OK ... if you quit judging fat men by their weight.
I would design an experiment to refine these results.

Compare female attraction to a guy driving a muscle type car like a Mustang GT, Corvette, or Dodge Challenger, to a guy driving a luxury car like Lexus or Audi in the same price range. Just curious.

The worst mistake is to buy something to impress. Women will spot a fake right away.

What do women want? Batman. Other than that I do not think they want the sort of man who lets her define who he is.

Had a few buddies over the years who would boast about how many women they had bedded down. My answer was "impressive, now try it with the same woman for 30 years and still make her feel that way." There is the challenge, or Challenger, whatever.

I had a boss that told me he was three away from bedding some large number of women.

I said that if he was any good they would have invited him back for a second time.
Not sure what you mean by "buddies".
In high school, i did not think of anybody as a friend, except those who did not boast, just told it like it is.
Formal sexual attractiveness studies have been conducted since the 1930's. There are really two issues here: (1) Does the other person control resources (i.e., money, social status, good genes) that might be useful to the self and (2) Does the other person show behaviors which indicate that he/she will provide those resources to the self at a reasonable cost? The first question is usually comparatively easy to answer, the second much more difficult, especially when you're trying to predict the someone else's behavior 20 years in the future.
I wise man once told me "Women don't like men. They like money and cars." My wife's an exception of course..... ;-)
1 2 3 4 Next View All