A man deported from Turkey back to France less than a week ago under suspicion he was trying to join ISIS attacked three police officers standing guard outside a Jewish center in Nice yesterday, in what is yet another example of what I have termed “known wolf” syndrome.
I coined that term here at PJ Media back in October following two separate terror attacks in Canada within a week of each other by two separate individuals who were already known to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. I noted here that this was also the case with the Sydney hostage taker, Sheikh Haron, in December. Haron had already been convicted of harassing the widows of soldiers killed in Afghanistan and was out on bail in two other separate cases. This was true yet again with the two Kouachi brothers responsible for the massacre at the offices of French magazine Charlie Hebdo last month, one of whom had already been in jail on terrorism charges.
Now it seems that Moussa Coulibaly, who stabbed three police officers yesterday in Nice, was yet another “known wolf.”
The Daily Mail reports:
The man who stabbed three soldiers outside a Jewish community centre in Nice today, was apprehended in Turkey last week while en-route to join ISIS, authorities believe.
Moussa Coulibaly, 30, was arrested at Istanbul airport and deported back to France after border control became suspicious, a security source has said…
Coulibaly was detained after the attack, near the Galeries Lafayette department store, and a second man has since been arrested by police.
The attack took place in central Nice around 2pm this afternoon, after Coulibaly had been fined for travelling on the tram without a ticket.
He ‘paid the fine without flinching and then rushed at the soldiers,’ The Local reports.
Coulibaly then pulled an eight-inch blade out of a bag and set upon one of the soldiers, injuring him in the chin, police said.
Coulibaly then swiped at two other soldiers – injuring one in the cheek, and the other in the forearm – before being apprehended by riot police stationed near the building.
He has a record of theft and violence, but the motive for the attack is not yet clear, an anonymous police official said.
The attack took place outside a Jewish community centre in Nice, home to an Israeli association and a Jewish radio station.
Agence France Presse adds:
Police detained Moussa Coulibaly and a suspected accomplice on Tuesday after the attack on the soldiers in front of a Jewish community center in Nice.
Border police had flagged Coulibaly to their Turkish counterparts on Jan. 28, who promptly returned him home, the French security official said on condition of anonymity because she wasn’t authorized to speak on the record.
French authorities, however, were unable to turn up enough evidence against Coulibaly to open a legal case against him.
As I’ve been regularly observing here at PJ Media since October, the recent international terror attacks have universally been committed by subjects already known to law enforcement and intelligence. In the case of the Charlie Hebdo attackers in France, they were on the no-fly list of both the U.S. and the UK.
How many more people will need to die before Western authorities begin to take sufficient action against those already known to them who intend to commit acts of terror? Sadly, we’re about to find out.