Earlier today, US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice tweeted that the United States has committed $100 million in aid to the people of Syria. Her tweet linked to the details posted on US State Department’s web site.
With this new assistance, the United States is providing a total of more than $100 million for humanitarian activities both inside Syria and in neighboring countries:
- $48.5 million to the World Food Program (WFP);
- $23.1 million to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR);
- $15 million, approximately, to nongovernmental organizations (NGOs);
- $8 million to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC);
- $3 million to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA);
- $2.75 million to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF);
- $1 million to the International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC);
- $500,000 to the International Organization for Migration (IOM);
- $500,000 to the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA); and
- $300,000 to the UN Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) for support of humanitarian operations.
How much of the $100 million will be siphoned off by UN bureaucrats? How much of that $100 million are we borrowing from China?
Cynical prediction: Assad will fall eventually, and he will be replaced by Syrians who are so grateful for this $100 million in US aid that they write sharia into their laws and chant “Death to America!” while burning American flags which were made in China.