Poll: Large Majority Say Congress Should Not Impeach Trump

(AP Photo/Gerry Broome)

In what must come as a shock to the likes of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar, a new Quinnipiac poll shows that the overwhelming majority of American voters do not support Congress beginning impeachment proceedings against President Trump.


All in all, 60% of voters say Trump should be allowed to finish his term. Only 32% of voters say they support impeachment.

Even among Democrats, support for impeachment is relatively low at 61%. If Democrats want to get close to majority support for impeachment, they’ll have to convince the other 39% of their voters first. Aside from Democrats and black voters (66% to 23%), all other groups — party, gender, age, ethnicity — are opposed to impeachment.

It’s noteworthy that these numbers have barely changed over the last seven to eight months:

That’s the good news for Trump and the bad news for Democrats. There’s also good news for the left, however. According to the same poll, only 31% of voters believe the Mueller report “cleared President Trump of any wrongdoing.” 56% believe the report does no such thing. In fact, 52% of voters say they believe that the president tried to “derail or obstruct the investigation into the Russian interference in the 2016 election.”


Considering those numbers, it’s rather quaint that those same voters oppose impeachment. After all, if he did collude with the Russians or even obstructed the investigation, that certainly is a solid basis for impeachment.

What this shows, then, is Americans’ fundamental belief in democracy. Even if they believe a president did something wrong, they want to settle the matter in the voting booth. AOC and her radical leftist buddies may want to circumvent the democratic process, but that’s not what voters want. If his administration ends after one term, they want it to be the result of their votes rather than some kind of judicial kungfu.


Trending on PJ Media Videos

Join the conversation as a VIP Member