How Can Young Conservative Christians Oppose Trump?

Trump Meets Evangelical Leaders

Traditional Christians rightly terrified of Hillary Clinton often puzzle over why so many of their younger brothers and sisters are hesitant to back the Republican nominee against her. There are those like Jerry Falwell Jr. who insist America isn't electing a "pastor-in-chief," and that Donald Trump is better than the alternative. PJ Media's own Mark Ellis wrote a prayer, "Please God, Help Trump Win."

But conservative Christian millennials aren't buying it. Donald Trump only took 43 percent of the vote in a general election poll at the conservative Hillsdale College, my alma mater. The other 57 percent didn't exactly support Hillary Clinton (she only took 6 percent). Libertarian Gary Johnson took a whopping 20 percent, and independent Evan McMullin, who has been in the race for only four months, claimed 11 percent.

A recent anti-Trump declaration letter by students at Liberty University, another bastion of conservative evangelicals, noted that the nominee only won 90 votes from that particular institution in the primary. A member of the group behind the declaration, Dustin Wahl, told CNN that mere hours after publishing, the letter had received more than 200 signatures.

David French wrote about "Donald Trump's Evangelical Age Gap," saying, "I can almost guess the viewpoint of the Evangelical by his age. Older Christians challenge me to support Trump, often with genuine anger. Younger Christians tend to be far more bewildered and distressed. 'Aren't we supposed to care about character?' they'll ask me. 'Are we this desperate for political relevance?'"

This is not to say that all young right-leaning believers oppose Trump, but there are many who do. Eleven millennial conservative Christians leaning against the Republican nominee explained their reasoning to PJ Media. Here are their responses.

1. The GOP was not anti-woman, until Trump.

"As a female millennial Republican, I have been fighting for the GOP and conservatism since before I could vote," Liz Anderson, a 26-year-old Christian marketing professional and graduate of The Master's University who lives in Reston, VA, told PJ Media. "People would tell me my political party is bigoted, and uses women as props, and I would always tell them they were wrong and point to people like Nikki Haley as reasons why the GOP is not bigoted and anti-women."

"Then Trump happened," Anderson noted. "Not only has he proved every negative stereotype about Republicans I have spent years refuting to be true, but he has made the GOP as a whole hard for people like me to swallow. I'm not a feminist, but I can't stomach being lumped in with people who justify Trump's past comments as taking place 'a long time ago' and just 'locker room speech' while they continue to demean Hillary Clinton for things her husband did even longer ago than Trump's pussy comments."

Anderson did not support Clinton, and even convinced one of her liberal co-workers who hates Clinton into voting third party, as she did. "I think more people should vote their conscience. If you can't stomach Trump or Hillary, your party shouldn't force you to get in line."

She also criticized people who "treat Trump like he is the savior of America and Christianity." These Republicans "made fun of the cult of Obama in '08 and now have bought into Trump 100%." Anderson bemoaned the hypocrisy of people who "couldn't bring themselves to vote for Romney because he was a Mormon...... but at least Romney had freakin' character!"

Next Page: "A despicable human being" who "isn't pro-life."