VodkaPundit

Omigosh Nikon What Have You Done?

November 3rd, 2013 - 9:31 am

If you fell in love with shooting SLRs before there was a D in front of the name, you might be willing to write Nikon a check for one of these — whatever it is! — sight unseen.

The official announcement comes on Tuesday, and I’m on pins and needles until then.

Did you hear that shutter? Did you hear that dial… that shutter speed dial? Watching that ad I was back in high school again, shooting Dad’s vintage F2A. For what it’s worth, the F2A was possibly the best pre-electronic SLR ever made. It’s a tank. You could drop-kick it into a pile of cinder blocks and it would just keep shooting. Pick one up on eBay for $150, and I promise you you’ll take the best pictures of your life, with nothing more than a aging 50mm f/1.8 lens. Walking is how you frame great shots — not zooming.

I still have Dad’s F2, which hasn’t been shot in 20 years, easy. But I bet if I cleaned it up and dropped a new button battery in, it would shoot every bit as beautifully as it did 35 years ago.

That would certainly be a lot cheaper than buying whatever it is Nikon is showing off in this ad.

But I still want it. Whatever it is.

Who needs an SLR? I've got my Dad's old Leica IIIg, and Kodak Retina 1. I used to develop and print my own black and white, but just finding the stuff these days is way more trouble than it's worth.
Film sucks. As with a flathead V8, it had a certain charm for a while that almost made it worth dealing with years, and years (and years) ago.

The ability to blast off a dozen autofocused shots in two seconds through a lens with image stabilization has lead to some of the most amazing shots in the history of photography being captured, which otherwise would not have been. The ability to record HD video cheaply through a dSLR lens has completely revolutionized cinematography.

Nostalgia is great and all, but in certain instances, digital photography being one of them, it's a losing argument on any technical merit.
It's not a question of going back to film -- film sucks.

Film SLRs, however, were generally superior for the art of taking great pictures. You didn't have to dig through menus to get to the controls you needed; they were all simply there at your finger and thumb tips.

What this new Nikon seems to do -- this is conjecture until we actually see the thing -- is combine the speed and low cost of digital with the kind of controls old-school shooters crave.

Plus, it will work with my favorite 50mm f/1.8, which is the only real walk around lens a real shooter ever needs.
The only thing that will amaze me more than Nikon building a dSLR without a LCD and hierarchical menu system will be people buying it in significant numbers.

The whole point of dSLRs is to maximize what you can do with a CCD, like bracketing, white balance, assignable buttons, etc. To remove all of that functionality in what is presumably a mid-market dSLR would make Canon very happy, and few others.

I suppose we'll see, and if that's what they do, well-- kudos for being bold, but I don't see it working in the current dSLR market.
If you're watching an ad featuring a single person taking single pictures and thinking it's a mass market device they're selling, then you're watching it wrong.

But if you're watching the reaction on blogs and photo news sites and thinking there's no market at all...
I could be really smarmy and point out all the tech blogs and news sites that evangelized the Zune and Surface... ahem.

Anyway, I realize it's anything but a mass market device, and in fact that's part of the problem. It's fairly expensive to develop, market and support a camera platform. Nikon's market for this thing are People who: a) are already on the Nikon train and own a bunch of their glass, b) already have a dSLR, c) want a new dSLR with less features, or d) Have a pre-existing Nikon film investment, and didn't trade it in, and now want a digital body to plunk behind their old manual lenses.

Is that enough of a market to offset many millions in development and advertising costs? Maybe, but I have my doubts.
In some ways, I agree with you completely. In others, I disagree completely!

For action shots, like in sports, news, wildlife, etc, and in low light situations, film did and does suck. It was always a compromise.

But for artistic work, where there’s plenty of time to compose and expose, film still excels, especially in the larger formats.
I've yet to see film do anything a high resolution CCD couldn't. Which is why Hasselblad, Mamiya, Leica, etc are cranking out 40+ MP bodies and sensors all day long, and they're replacing the hell out of film.

The ONLY exception I can think of would be something like an 8x10 field camera, but if someone is lugging that around with a serious expression on their face, they're probably quite mad.
I agree entirely Stephen, but the camera you described in my old Canon A-1. That thing was brilliant, I should really dig it out of the closet. Photography was different then, you took your time because if you blew a shot it cost you money. No delete button, the picture where grandma appeared to have her thumb up uncle Ben's nose got developed and paid for with all the others. It might do photogs a world of good to learn on one of those before moving to digital.
A roll of 36 exposures of Kodachrome at 400 used to set me back four or five bucks, plus double that or more for prints. Used to squeeze 37 or 38 shots out of one of those rolls, but eventually switched to slides. They cost a lot less to develop, then could order prints of only of the best ones.

Now it's just shoot and shoot and shoot -- and spend too much time in front of the computer getting rid of the bad ones.
I recently pulled my Pentax K1000 out because my daughter has gotten interested in serious photography. I know exactly what you mean about the feel and sound. The weight... the "snap" when you press the shutter release... The photo *actually* being taken exactly when you press that shutter release...

A new button battery was all it took to have it working again. Unfortunately, her high school photography class uses digital instead of film, so she's going to be getting a DSLR.

One Trackback to “Omigosh Nikon What Have You Done?”