The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

July 1, 2013 - 7:01 am

Former President George W. Bush, when asked in an interview on CNN whether he wanted to criticize the Obama administration, brushed it off as something that wouldn’t do “any good.”

The president and former First Lady Laura Bush have been on a humanitarian mission in Zambia during Obama’s three-nation swing through Africa.

Bush reflected on former South African President Nelson Mandela, who has been in deteriorating condition in the hospital for four weeks now.

“Sometimes there are leaders who come and go. His legacy will last for a long time,” Bush said.

When the CNN reporter noted that Mandela criticized Bush publicly for the Iraq war, Bush made clear there are no hard feelings.

“He wasn’t the only guy. It’s OK. I didn’t look at him any differently because he didn’t agree with me on an issue,” the former president said.

When asked if NSA leaker Edward Snowden is a traitor, Bush replied, “I know he damaged the country. The Obama administration will deal with it.”

“I put the program in place to protect the country and one of the certainties is civil liberties were guaranteed,” he continued. “I think there needs to be a balance and as the president described, there is a proper balance.”

When pressed to criticize his successor, he said, “It doesn’t do any good. It’s a hard job. He has plenty on his agenda and it’s difficult. Former president doesn’t need to make it harder.”

When asked about polls showing his favorability rating, which has risen since he left office, Bush said he “couldn’t care less.”

“Only time I really cared was on Election Day. You know, I guess it’s nice. Let me rephrase that. Thank you for bringing it up,” he added. “You know, ultimately history will judge the decisions that I made. And I won’t be around because it’s going to take a while for the objective historians to show up. So I’m pretty comfortable with it. I did what I did. I know the spirit this much I did it.”

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Excoriating Bush for being unwilling to abandon, not only his personal dignity, but the dignity of the office, to crawl around in the gutter with lefty journalists, demented bloggers and putridly partisan Democrats to defend himself against insane lies is nonsense. I'm grateful that he never took the low road and still refuses to be baited into doing so. I think this country seems to have fallen so far that a decent man, a gentleman, is perceived to be a fool. It's we who are the fools. Proof? Obama was elected twice.
I can understand the criticism of Bush, charges of ineptness and idiocy, my own criticisms for not fighting back, etc...However, I want to credit the man with something else too.

Class.

That's a word the Obamas and Clintons are completely unfamiliar with.
"And now, a supposed conservative with the power to work behind the scenes to expose Obama as the fraud/extremist he is-sits back and does nothing. "

I don't think this part is fair. He doesn't have any such power, and it's a long tradition, and a good one, that former presidents shut up once they are out of office.

We don't like it when Clinton and Carter violate that tradition, and we shouldn't be expecting Bush to do so.
Regardless of his policy missteps, Dubya has one thing Dear Leader couldn't buy with all the money John Corzine stole for him.....class. President Bush was far from perfect, but at least he was an American president who always protected our people in harm's way and refuses to criticize this current disaster of a president out of respect for the office. You rock on, Dubya.

Remember BENGHAZI!
Bush has always upheld the dignity of the office and that hasn't changed since he has left. Obama has turned the office of the president into a side show. We've had JayZ in the Situation Room and Obama on The View. History will be whatever it will be but for my part, even when I disagreed with Bush I respected him.
It is a tough job alright. A decent man speaks up when he sees evil being done. Bush obviously sees nothing wrong with the Obama regime. I wonder why?
It is not surprising that Bush wont speak up for the American people now; he wouldn’t when he was president either.
Too bad Bush is too good to join the rest of us crawling around in the in the gutter with the results of his policies. Those policies include:
• Not only not recognizing the enemy that attacked us, but not allowing the American people to be honest about it either - Obama is just leading from behind Bush.
• Abusing American patriotism by sending Americans to be killed and maimed “nation building” and “democracy building” which he promised not to do when running for POTUS - again, Obama pussy-foots behind Bush.
• Creating an absurd national security system designed to be most effective against his own citizens - laying the groundwork for Obama - who jumped all over that one.
• Designing “anti-terror” policies and an absurd bureaucratic Department of Homeland Security that calls patriots and ordinary Americans terrorists.
• A TSA that punishes Americans.
The whole list would take up many pages without even getting into economic policy...
Bush is right, history will judge him. If the progressives win, which seems very likely at this point, they may concede that his help was important, but he shouldn’t count on it. If by some miracle the forces of liberty win, he will be reviled as a man who made the struggle much harder than it should have been.
This also falls under the meme of "When your opponent is self-destructing, get out of the way".

The big media would absolutely love for Bush to criticize Obama, so they can then rehash everything they disliked between 2000 and 2008, and shout from the rooftops about NSA surveillance measures conducted while Bush was in office. By not criticizing Obama, Bush denies the left the chance to do another "Look -- a squirrel!" moment, by taking the focus away from Obama's woes via creating a feud between the two presidents.
artghost said it well. Our country is definitely suffering from a lack of class--in politics and in the culture.
Can't blame him. If I had served in and successfully escaped the United States Presidency, I wouldn't want to further soil my hands in White House business, either. In fact, considering that way we treat our Presidents, I'd probably leave the country, renounce my citizenship, change my name, and disappear.
Sad that GWB is nice to the man that at every
opportunity blames him for the ills of this
country. I sure won't be so forgiven......
Agreed. He can take the high road or the road Jimmy Carter has been on since 1980. I think he's doing fine. It's no longer any of his business anyway. He's GW Bush, Private Citizen. Good for him.

Class.

That's a word the Obamas and Clintons are completely unfamiliar with.
--- Bush Won’t Criticize Obama

Nothing new. He didn't defend himself, his policies, or his people from constant, vitriolic attack during his two terms. Bush is a good man, but he is also a bit of a masochist.
He's no masochist at all.
He's a Gentleman. We as a Nation seem to be unfamiliar with what that term actually means. We belittle being a Gentleman at our peril.
Bush here is indicating enormous class and a most sensible and resistant approach to being egged on and baited by some media people.
They will just say that they're doing their "job". What a shallow, hollow attitude.
1 2 Next View All

2 Trackbacks to “Bush Won’t Criticize Obama: ‘Former President Doesn’t Need to Make It Harder’”