The 10 Best Fast Food Restaurants

Let the debate begin.

Jeremy Swindle

August 29, 2014 - 7:00 am

10. Jack in the Box

J-Box takes the term “fast food” quite literally. When they say that all of their food is made to order, what it means is that your burger is thrown on the grill before you’ve finished ordering food and will be assembled long before you pull up to the window. But although their punctual burgers are tasty, the tacos are truly unique. They arrive in a food truck sleeve and are served in a very crunchy shell overflowing with jalapenos and queso. Utter perfection.

J-Box would get a higher spot on the list if only their chicken game wasn’t so lackluster.

I live now in Virginia, but lived over two decades in California. I think In-N-Out is the best fast food burger anywhere. I was sorely disappointed in Five Guys after it was recommended over and over again. I've never been back.

(Incidentally, their fries are the filthiest mess I've ever had. And that's not a compliment. I mean, dude, change the frying medium every once in a while.)
This 'author' (and I use that term loosely) seems to think that readers enjoy being referred to as 'dummies'. Here's a newflash: I don't appreciate it.
what a dumb comment.
1 week ago
1 week ago Link To Comment
I'm sorry but Steak 'n' Shake and White Castle have no similarities whatsoever. The author doesn't know what he's talking about.
And Chick-fil-A is better than half the places on this list.

[PJ clickbait article]
The whole In-N-Out burger experience is great. The service is tops, the help is friendly, the food fresh & excellent. There's not one near where I live, so I haven't tried the Animal Style burger yet, but hope to next visit.
Love Steak 'n Shake also - again top service, staff w/great attitudes & excellent food (remember, we're talking fast food here). Even my daughter (14yo & persnickety when it comes to food) said the Royale (egg & bacon) I got was delicious. Like me, she also loves the skinny fries.
Wendy's has a great new value menu steakburger & you can add value fries & drink all for <$4.

I wouldn't include Jack in the Box or Carl's Jr. on any top ten best list - my experience at both was underwhelming & I'm being kind.
Taco Bell? The regular crunchy tacos are about all that'll separate me from my money there.

Rally's No. 1? That's quite a stretch. Eaten there many times - it's nothing outstanding, nothing terrible - overall it's pretty average I would say, so I wouldn't include them on a top ten list.

Have been to Five Guys Burgers & it was good when it first opened, but for some reason, in the several years since, the burgers have become a bland mess. Probably won't be going back there.

Sonic's burgers were once pretty good - until they expanded into every little town with a population >1000. The Wacky Pack burgers still aren't bad if you're lucky to catch 'em when they're having a good day.

My wife & I get BK's Whopper Jr. when we go there, and they're not bad IF you tell them 'easy on the mayo/must/ketchup'' - otherwise it'll be slathered & dripping. I will say, however, their buns could use some improvement.

I would include White Castle & Chick-fil-A.
(show less)
Andrew, it's clear you must live on the West Coast, because so many of your selections do not exist anywhere but out west.

If you are ever in Wisconsin or Michigan, I suggest you try Culvers. Absolutely the best, especially the shakes.
My daughter loves In N Out Burger, but I think it is overrated. Their food is bland. Chipotle is excellent. Carl's Jr. is good too. For healthy food, I also like Paradise Bakery. And while Taco Bell is not exactly gourmet food even for fast food, you won't find a better buy anywhere. There are few places where you can get a decent meal for $3, but you still can at Taco Bell.
Someone should do a definitive list, ranked regionally and nationally. So many chains to choose from, and so many categories, from burgers to chicken to Mexican to Chinese, etc. I'm amazed that Subway was never mentioned, and is Burger King now personna non grata? I would go out of my way to support them now that they've become tax refugees from our repacious federal government.
When I lived near a Wendy's I ate there a lot. Their Baconator burger was great, but for some reason their regular hamburgers always seemed to have soggy/greasy interiors that spoiled what otherwise would have been a perfectly good burger experience. But I'm glad you put Jack in the Box on the list. Their food is always perfectly well made, cooked and presented.
The secret to In-N-Out is to order their "Secret-Menu" items. A 3x3 is three patties and three slices of cheese, and a 4x4 is four and four. Animal Style fries (recommended) feature cheese, grilled onions, and thousand island dressing, and Animal Style burgers adds mustard grilled patties, grilled onions and extra sauce. A protein burger replaces the bun with lettuce.

Keep in mind that their fries are cut from fresh potatoes minutes before use and then fried to a soggy consistency. But the good news is that they will fry them to crispy perfection on request.
Lack of options? In-n-Out has a whole huge "secret" menu and will get you just about anything you want.
SHHHH!

Sorry, but after 20 years in SoCal I can assure you FatBurger is far superior to In-N-Out (I also think Tommy's would have to be in 2nd place)...never been to a Rallys.
Fatburger is danged good. But I still think In-N-Out ranks them.
Rally's pretty much sucks, like Checkers...in fact they often fail and the other takes it's place and vice versa.
1 2 3 Next View All