The Top 10 Reasons Why the Star Wars Prequels Sucked

With new films coming, we can speak freely of this now.

Walter Hudson

August 22, 2014 - 7:00 am

prequels

It’s with no small amount of irony that I, of all people, compose this list of hate against George Lucas’ Star Wars prequel trilogy. During their production, as each released, and in the years since, I have been quite the prequel apologist. There are several aspects of the films which deliver, and perhaps that will make for a follow-up to this list in the near feature. However, with the knowledge that six new Star Wars films are coming in as many years, and seeing how Disney has thus far chosen to treat the property, the flaws of the prequel trilogy seem more relevant than ever.

On the one hand, these criticisms serve as warnings for J.J. Abrams and the rest of the creative team working on Episode VII, the film which will set the tone for those to follow. On the other hand, it’s a testament to the enduring legacy of the Star Wars brand that the franchise may yet flourish despite these missteps.

Here are the top 10 reasons the Star Wars prequels sucked:

You don't know what you are talking about. The original was targeting people a lot like George Lucas. The audience that flocked to it considted of boomers who hadn't realized they wanted a throwback to the films they had seen when age 12 and to 50s era westerns.

It wasn't heavily marketed but the word of mouth was simply incredible in the 25 to 35 age bracket. A week after it opened everyone in my MBA program was talking about having seen it or going to see it.

That's because since the late 60s so many movies had tended to be very, very dark. The ethnic anti-hero was far more popular then the WASP hero. It was not uncommon to find a rape scene rather than a love scene. Graphic violence had come into vogue. Then there was the gratuitous nudity as some actors and actresses who should have thanked the Lord daily for creating clothes bared it all. Star Wars offered old fashioned heroes, bloodless cartoon violence and a chaste kiss from a fully clothed heroine in virginal white. After a diet of the likes of Glenda Jackson in full frontal nudity the public was hungry for an updated fantasy version of an Errol Flynn adventure movie, complete with swordfights that didn't include a kick to the balls.
Lucas was the problem...not the people he hired.
For the best and last word on why the prequels failed, take the time to watch the Mr. Plinkett movie reviews. These are long (70+ minutes), very funny (Warning: language) and very detailed explanations of how not to make a movie. They also serve as an entry level film class...you will learn a lot about how films should be written and directed. If you watch, you'll probably come to the conclusion that the biggest problem with the prequels isn't Jar Jar Binks (barely mentioned in the movie reviews)...but rather George Lucas...who doesn't actually understand his own creation.

I really can't recommend this more strongly...take the time and watch. It's not just funny, but very educational:

The reason is simpler:
The prequel is the process of stitching together the ragged ends of the past and the present. The universe is known. The characters are known. the outcomes are known.
Sci Fi is properly the domain of the unimagined—and previously unimaginable.
Only the unimaginative resort to prequels.
Lucas was a liar from the get-go, contemptuous of his audience.
His 'children's film' ended with an attack on the Death Star which
was all sophomoric sexual innuendo: 'Almost there...Almost there...'
Wow, you have a filthy mind.
Someone beat me to recommending the Mr Plinkett reviews! Oh well ...
Plinkett is where discussion of the shortcomings should begin. And in many cases end. The guy is definitive.

This is another very good commentary, which deconstructs Episode One and offers a much cleaner and more dramatic treatment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgICnbC2-_Y
Lousy script, boring dialogue, belabored acting and pyrotechnics at the expense of story.

As I recall it.
While some have actually adopted the religion of Star Wars as if it exists ("I shall live by the code of the Jedi: Only a Sith believes in absolutes") and though I waited in line for hours in '77 to watch the original several times, I simply ceased caring when animated jackasses went to war with animated clones.
I must be rather solitary in thinking the prequels were just fine. But then I didn't have tremendous expectations for them either. I expected them to be goofy and fun, and they were. The deep dark themes were treated with childishly garish colors, and that's fine with me. I was entertained, and I didn't even dislike Jar-Jar. I didn't like him; I'm neutral. He didn't make me laugh, but I never saw any reason to hate him either.

And also, I always thought the original movies were loads of fun, but not 'great' movies in the sense that I learned anything important from them. They didn't move me and I always thought the Jedi pseudo-Zen was stupid. I own all six movies, and I've seen them all several times, and I never turn on my skepticism or critical thinking when I'm watching them. I just go back to being 9 years old watching Star Wars at a Drive-in and I'm just fine from beginning to end. It's not something I can do with just any movie, so I like all of them.
I've never understood the Jar-Jar hate.

Folks, he was *comic relief*. Just as C-3PO & R2D2 and the Jawas were in the first movie
I'm with you. The prequels are fine. I think people were disappointed because they wanted to make the films themselves. One of the drawbacks of being so successful with the first films, i guess. I might add that the plot in the prequel trilogy is far more interesting than in the old one. The political subtext is also deeper.
Mr. Plinkett.
The biggest trouble the prequels had is that many of the people of my generation had every word of dialogue, every bit of action in the original three movies memorized. We could tell exactly where all the digital additions were made in the dvd release of the original movies. Then Lucas tries to produce prequels that are too cute and have too little action to merit all the excited talk by Luke in A New Hope of the Clone Wars. Instead of killing machines, Wookies have cute CGI eyes in the prequels. We barely endured the Ewoks because they, in their unbelievable and ridiculous style actually put some hurt on Federation troops. Lukas originally meant for Star Wars to be for children and seems to have tried desperately to force it to be so after it attracted a much greater audience. All he did was alienate his biggest fans.
Science fiction should be unpredictable.
Prequels are predictable by definition.
I'm sure the whole sorry mess is being revived because the market for the trinkets has dried up.

I saw the original Star Wars, and never saw the need to see another in the franchise. Not only do I not like scifi/fantasy much - although the old radio shows like Dimension X and X Minus 1 had a lot to commend them because they were written by pedigreed literary types who never forgot that character was the basis of all good narrative - but I subscribe to Chili Palmer's dismissive opinion of sequels (and by implication prequels). Additionally CGI has become a way for film-makers to crank out characterless schlock and get still get a huge sugar high from the movie-going public. The only sequel I ever saw that was worth a damn was Godfather II.

I could add that it was bad because Lucas tried to make a thinly-disguised diatribe against Bush but perhaps that is stating the obvious.
1 2 3 Next View All