65 Movies & Shows Come to Netflix in July. Here Are 10 You Should Watch

From comedies to thrillers, science fiction, classics, and art house hits, this month some gems appear at your fingertips. Here are the ones I plan on re-visiting or finally watching for the first time, all available today except for The Master, coming July 14.

Dave Swindle

July 1, 2014 - 10:00 am

10. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

I suppose in one sense, Netflix serves the same purpose as Facebook: perpetual high school reunion and never-ending nostalgia fests, reminders of a time before adulthood and the weight of responsibilities.

Nowadays when I go back and watch some film that was fun or memorable from childhood or adolescence I tend to see it more from the parents’ perspective, relating to those characters, rather than the kids. I wonder how Honey, I Shrunk the Kids will hold up when rewatching it. Rather than experiencing it as a child wandering through the grass and inner-tubing in a cheerio, I’ll consider it as the father searching for his lost children…

On my personal list of top ten movie lines of all time is the Patton gem:

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country!"
Patton, check. Star Trek, check. The rest, in my opinion, are still dreck.

(Except for HISTK - I'm on your side there. But I want to see you and Chris Queen in the same room someday...)
The Master sounded interesting until I read it's summary on Wikipedia. Basically, one main character is similar to R. Crumb's cryptic holy-man / con-artist, Mr. Natural, only without the humor and insight. He meets a WWII vet who was damaged goods before the war started.

Let's face it, give the "intellectuals" anything nihilistic and obtuse enough, throw in a status name actor or director, or two, and they'll declare it a masterpiece. After all, these are the same dopes who gave B. Hussein Obama a Nobel Peace Prize.

I'm forced to ask, "What does it all mean Mr. Natural?" The reply is inevitable, "It don't mean shee-it!" Based on the average Amazon reviews, respectfully, The Master is a master piece o' shee-it ... for me to poop on!

People, don't get Swindled (sorry Dave, I couldn't resist). For the real thing, check out Nightmare Alley, 1947, featuring Tyrone Power, then read the book by the same name. The film is worth it just to see Ms. Coleen Gray in a skimpy carny outfit, and Mr. Power in a t-shirt!
I always had alternative abbreviations for the first ST films-

ST1 - TTT (2002, as per the film 2001)
ST2 - TOS
ST3 - BTB (Ban the Bomb - "what? you used protomatter"?)
ST4 - STW (Save the whales)

BTW, the end of the second movie (the new planet) was an early use of CGI.
City of God is an excellent movie. Another foreign film I'd recommend - OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies - hilarious French film.
The Undiscovered Country is one of the better Trek movies. 3rd Best works. Original Movie and Wrath of Khan. Most of the other Original Series movies arent worth watching.
"12 Angry Men" is mistitled. It should have been '11 Angry Baggers, One Righteous Moonbat."
How about - how one jerk manages to get a murderer off scott free.

Anyone read the play? "This is the ultimate confrontation, good versus evil". Something like that.
On my personal list of top ten movie lines of all time is the Patton gem:

The men who made "Patton" directed and wrote the screenplay tried to portrayed Patton as some kind of right wing buffoon and war monger. Something that left always tries to do when handling a military subject. If you have the DVD of "Patton" and watch some of the behind the scenes interviews that becomes clear. Patton himself was such a controversial figure his history lends itself to helping the left in this endeavor. There is one thing for all the critics of General Patton cannot overcome. Patton was a winning general. That fact comes through in the movie.
Patton was a guy you wanted on the battlefield, but he needed to be kept away from civilians.
I don't agree with your intrepretation. I believe that the portrayal of Pattonby George C. Scott was both knowledgable and sympathetic to a man who had exactly one perfect moment in history to be himself, and do what only he could do as well .. and that otherwise he was often mismatched with what his superiors mis-expected of him.

Genius often works that way. And George S. Patton was a genius armored field commander, like no other before or since.
Re: Patton--the movie is based on the bigraphy by Ladislas Farago, (Patton--Ordeal & Triumph). To echo another commenter--anything by Blumenson is first-rate.

Star Trek--2 is the best, followed by 4, then 6, 3, 1, and let's not mention the execrable 5, (60+ year old Uhura fan-dance = *shudder*)
"The Undiscovered Country" was a totally moronic exercise in PC. "The Wrath of Khan" was the best; the original, second. All the others were a waste.

You have never seen "Patton"?????

Do so, ASAP. Like crap through a goose.
1 2 Next View All