5 Pro Tips for Homeschoolers

Ideas to help you keep your sanity.

Paula Bolyard

May 8, 2014 - 8:00 am

Homeschooling can be the greatest, most rewarding experience of your life. It can also be the most stressful. Here are some pro tips that can help you to keep things in perspective:

OhioMaze_sm

1. The World Is Your School

While it’s tempting to think that “seat time” is synonymous with education, traditional academic work is not the only way that children learn. A lot of what our kids learned about science—especially in the early years—they learned in backyard puddles, in the garden, and on hikes in the woods. They learned about agriculture at a corn maze that taught the kids about local farming with a clever scavenger hunt. One son even learned the locations of all the states when the results of the 2000 election were coming in and he faithfully colored the red and blue states as the returns were announced on TV. All of us learned about exotic cultures half a world away when missionary families that were home on furlough visited our home. Every trip to the grocery store, the veterinarian, and the pediatrician can be a learning experience if you approach life with curiosity and a sense of adventure and teach your children to do likewise.

My tips for homeschoolers:

1 . Get over the stupid idea that you MUST do this PERFECTLY or you will destroy your children!

2. Get over the stupid idea that children, with their vast store of wisdom and experience, can direct their education. In other words, dump the hippy philosophies and TEACH them what they need to know. (Yes, you "unshcoolers", I"m talking to you.)

3. Get over the stupid idea that everything you do must be FUN! No, it doesn't have to be fun. Fun is good, and fun enhances learning, but fun is NOT a requirement for EVERY activity. Memorizing basic math facts can be boring, AND THAT'S OKAY. It didn't kill any of us, but the lack of that BORING memorization has sure crippled a lot of people. Oh, you've found a fun way to get those same results? Great, but that doesn't mean that BORING is always to be avoided.

Memorization is not always stupid. I can quote streams of Shakespeare as could the woman I taught with...to the great amusement of our students. Kids may not memorize Shakespeare anymore, they more probaby have never heard of him.
Good advice even for parents who do not home school! Parents can and should be the best providers of enrichment activities, spontaneous learning, and connecting learning to personal values.
Memorization is not something I generally like, maybe because I don't have a good memory. But memorizing the multiplication tables, 1x1 through 12x12, helped me do math for the rest of my life. It was enormously useful. And flash cards helped a lot. It was almost a game for me.
My tips for homeschoolers:

I don't know, Unschooling seems to have worked quite well for us.
My son in s a management candidate in his work, and my daughter is closing in on her degree in Fine Arts.