Ed Driscoll

Barack to the Future: Mark Steyn on America Alone in 2006

November 7th, 2013 - 3:47 pm

steyn_america_alone_cover_11-7-13-1

When PJM launched its Freedom Academy Book Club recently, the powers that be asked me to upload my recent author interviews to the site. However, I decided to go one better, and include in the mix some of the many interviews I’ve recorded since I began podcasting in 2006, and producing PJM’s Sirius-XM radio show, which ran from the fall of 2007 through the end of 2010.

Most of these interviews simply involved cutting away the rest of the show and possibly adding new intro and outro music. However, the earliest interviews from 2006 were in pretty rough shape, with ground loops, clicks, hiss, and the like, before I had powerful tools such as Izotope’s RX plugin to clean up the noise inherent in a telephone recording.

Audio-wise, one of the worst was recorded back in September of 2006, when I interviewed Mark Steyn on his then-new book, America Alone, which grew out of his earlier magnum opus 6000-word article published simultaneously in the New Criterion and the Wall Street Journal, “It’s the Demography, Stupid.” But Mark’s comments are so interesting, as we compare the current innervated state of what was once called “The War on Terror,” with Iraq abandoned by Mr. Obama after it was secured by President Bush’s surge, Afghanistan soon to be abandoned after Mr. Obama’s own surge, Israel on its own, Iran about go nuke, Putin eating Obama and Kerry’s lunch in Syria, Benghazi, the debacle that was the “Arab Spring,” etc. No wonder Mark titled the sequel After America, whose cover featured a cadaverous Uncle Sam sporting a toe tag.

In other words, the fall of 2006, which at the time seemed like the nadir, the perigee of the Bush administration, now seems increasingly like the Good Old Days. So let’s flash back to that era, to see where the War on Terror stood, and how the left ran America off the rails in the years since.

Click here to listen; a downloadable version of the interview is also available:

For many more author interviews, including conversations with Mark Levin, David Limbaugh, Jonah Goldberg, James Lileks, Alvin Toffler, Mitt Romney, Norman Podhoretz, Virginia Postrel, Roger Kimball, and many more, along with interviews hosted by Glenn Reynolds and Helen Smith, Stephen Green, and Col. Austin Bay, stop by the PJ Media Freedom Academy.

Israel has basically been on it's own since January 20, 2009. Netanyahu read Obama clearly from Day One. Israel has one more generation of American support, maybe less. As the number of Jews in America decrease as a percentage of the electorate and the Muslim electorate increases, fewer US lawmakers will openly advocate for supporting the only real ally in the Middle East this nation has ever had. One can only hope that the Jewish state is working on some kind of technology in secret that can save them from their enemies.
Islamic terrorists are the remote enemy. American leftists are the immediate existential threat. Focus on American leftists.
My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do,,,,,,, WWW.Rush64.COM
My sister's friend is an illegal alien. She makes $800 a week working under the table. She has been averaging $4k a month free of taxes. I, however, make a lot less because the government subsidizes my sister's friend. I feed, clothe, pay the medical care for and education of my sister's friend's children. I can't believe how easy it is for the government and the Democrat party to degrade and enslave me, and call me a "racist" and a "nativist" if I complain.
So basically we had Vietnam won and the Democrat Congress scuttled the war. We had Iraq won and the Democrats scuttled the war. What happened to the Democrats after JFK? Some sort of brain virus?
A war is won when the enemy calls it quits and changes its mind. See Germany, Italy and Japan. To do that, you have to burn down their cities. The civilians must quit supporting the leaders who got their cities burned down.

This is what war has meant for all time.

If the losing king even survived, his toes and thumbs would be cut off, he would be blinded and then sentenced to rummage for scraps under the victorious king's table. More likely, after capture, the loser would have his sons killed before his eyes, his wives raped and his children taken as slaves, then he would be killed.

WWII was not a walk in the park. It was Total War. Ever since, we have not even declared our conflicts to be "wars."

And Obama has reduced them to "kinetic military actions."
The Democrats did not scuttle the Vietnam war. The "loss" was planned all along.

At no point, did we ever "win" in Iraq. Perhaps, people just didn't like the idea of occupying a middle eastern country, forever, to "win" it.
Both of you are correct in a different context. Democrats are a party of treachery, duplicity and mendacity, and outrigh winning wars has not been an American goal since WWII.