Here is the photo, with the persons of interest circled in red. (UPDATE: The Post got it wrong, again. See below.)
The NY Post reports that authorities know the names of the two men, but do not have enough evidence yet to arrest them. This could explain Wednesday’s confusion: Someone within law enforcement was on the distro list and got ahead of the facts, or got ahead of the facts that authorities wanted communicated with the public, and therefore the suspects.
If these two men had anything to do with the bombs, Salon’s Zoolander clone David Sirota is going to be very disappointed.
Update: I’m hours behind on this one, and swearing off believing anything reported by the Post on this story. They have been totally unreliable.
Salah Barhoun, 17, said he went to the police yesterday to clear his name after he found himself tagged in pictures online. He had just gone to watch the race, he said, but soon after the explosions, he was singled out by internet sleuths as looking suspicious. Federal authorities passed around images of Barhoun, attempting to learn more information about him, sources told ABC News.
Today The New York Post ran a story featuring a picture of Barhoun and another man circled in red, but said it was unclear if they were the same as two potential suspects spotted by law enforcement Wednesday.
ABC News producers found Barhoun through social media and spoke to him today at his home. He said he had actually wanted to run the race and when he couldn’t, decided to watch.
Barhoun’s younger brother, who declined to be identified, said that it made his mother “sick and upset” that her son had been connected to the tragedy.