News & Politics

Pro-Life Students Mimic Gun Control School Walkout With Walkout of Their Own

fetus_development_in_fifth_month_hffpn-85x85

Pro-life students from nearly 300 high schools and colleges across the country participated in a national walkout Wednesday to protest legal abortion in the U.S.

The pro-life walkout was organized by students in Sacramento, California, to send a message to lawmakers that “enough is enough!”

We will no longer tolerate legal abortion in our nation, which has killed more than a fourth of our generation. We will no longer watch as our leaders in Washington continue to fund our nation’s largest abortion vendor, Planned Parenthood, with more than $500 million of our taxpayer dollars. We will no longer permit Planned Parenthood and their allies in the abortion industry to target our peers for their predatory business cycle.

https://twitter.com/redpillrekt/status/984102481360809984

A California student from Rocklin High School spearheaded the event with organizational support from Students for Life of America.

Brandon Gillespie announced the pro-life walkout on Twitter last month, saying he organized it to “honor all the lives of the millions of aborted babies every year” and raise awareness of the “cruel injustices taking place at Planned Parenthood.”

https://twitter.com/bgillie13/status/976818775751245824

Gillespie said he was inspired to organize the pro-life walkout when his history teacher, Julianne Benzel, was put on administrative leave for encouraging a class discussion about whether there is “a double standard on school walkouts that promote gun control versus pro-life values.”

The walkout was designed to mimic the much larger school-endorsed anti-gun walkouts of March 14, when hundreds of thousands of students from schools nationwide staged walkouts.

“I asked for the same accommodation as the anti-gun protest, that teachers would be flexible in their lesson planning, and also for the availability of equipment that the anti-gun protestors were allowed to use,” Gillespie said in a statement. “I really was not surprised when they told me that they were not going to give me the accommodations and that they were not going to sanction this walkout as they did the previous one. It just confirms for me that there is a political double standard, at least in my school district, but I’m still going to be out there.”

Ahead of Wednesday’s walkout, pro-life organizers warned school districts to treat their event the same as last month’s massive anti-gun walkout.

“We believe that the Pandora’s box has been opened and students should be able to express their deeply held beliefs as appropriate,” said Michael Gonidakis, president of Ohio Right to Life. “We’ll be watching to see if they’re consistent.”

https://twitter.com/blakebarclayusa/status/984087805566640129

Students from approximately 200 high schools and 80 colleges across America reportedly participated in the pro-life walkout.