To take P.J. O’Rourke’s great line written prior to the election last month and update it to the present tense, November 2nd wasn’t an election, it was a restraining order. As O’Rourke wrote, “They hate our guts:”
They don’t just hate our Republican, conservative, libertarian, strict constructionist, family values guts. They hate everybody’s guts. And they hate everybody who has any. Democrats hate men, women, blacks, whites, Hispanics, gays, straights, the rich, the poor, and the middle class.Democrats hate Democrats most of all. Witness the policies that Democrats have inflicted on their core constituencies, resulting in vile schools, lawless slums, economic stagnation, and social immobility. Democrats will do anything to make sure that Democratic voters stay helpless and hopeless enough to vote for Democrats.
And a month after the midterms, the left’s hate continues to burn:
- Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-MO), “It Really Is Time For Americans To Take Up Pitchforks,” If Dems Don’t Get Their Historic Tax Hikes.
- Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ), “Compares Republicans to ‘Terrorists’ for Holding Tax Cut Bill ‘Hostage.'”
- Former Obama “Czar” Van Jones Predicts Civil War, Blames His “Opponents.”
- Charlie Rangel: “I Don’t Deal with Average American citizens.”
- The Philadelphia Inquirer: Those to Obama’s right are “politically sluggardly Americans.”
- Helen Thomas: “We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion.”
- Chris Matthews of MSNBC and a former Democratic Congressional staffer: GOP Meaner, Nastier & “Put the Heel to the Back of Your Neck.” Can you say projection boys and girls? I knew that you could!
“Is it hyperbolic to say the Democratic Party is in the midst of a nervous breakdown,” asks veteran liberal journalist Mark Halperin at Time Magazine. Halperin adds, “I have been covering national politics since 1988, and I don’t remember a situation quite like this. The signs of a crack-up are everywhere.”
It doesn’t necessarily mean that the left’s nervous breakdown is a sign of their impending demise, as Emmett Tyrell predicts. But certainly given that it’s (a) not new and (b) not going away, the only way to reduce its impact is to keep shrinking the size of the Professional Left. Which means onward to 2012…