The PJ Tatler

Paula Bolyard

July 5, 2014 - 4:28 pm

10421568_909123359101759_1297752253077891270_n

As American women celebrated Independence Day and freedom with parades, picnics, fireworks displays, and demands for free birth control, a handful of Iranian women bravely shed their hijabs and posted their pictures on Facebook along with messages about what freedom means to them. The Facebook page, My Stealthy Freedom, created in May by Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad, currently has over 550,000 likes and offers women the opportunity to anonymously share photos of themselves with their heads uncovered — an act of cultural and religious disobedience that could have serious repercussions in the repressive Iranian society governed by Islamic law.

One young woman, wearing a full black hijab, is shown standing next to the street at night with her head uncovered. She says, “Although people gave me blaming looks, the sweetness of that moment has remained unforgettable.”

Messages of support in Persian and English poured in from around the world: the United States, Denmark, Pakistan, Yemen, Canada, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium and Israel. One Iranian man simply said, “I’m sorry.”

Another young woman posed in a field with her headscarf billowing in the breeze.

10438924_908907115790050_1120219709211427153_n

Her message is inspiring:

Shiraz, my stealthy freedoms, and I

I’ll let the wind blow my burnt moments away. I don’t mind whatever comes next

Freedom is a right I am entitled to have in my life; and I will take it back!
God created freedom! human beings were the ones who created servitude

Hey freedom! All we’ve ever known about you has been just your name ! We have been robbed of you as long as the history

I am a girl from Shiraz. I’ll raise my hand and practice freedom. Freedom! I want you to know that this exhausted bird will go on searching for you and trying to attain you forever.

One man responded to her post:

“The rights [to religious freedom] are of the natural rights of mankind, and … if any act shall be … passed to repeal [an act granting those rights] or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right,” by Thomas Jefferson.

Support from Sweden, for your (Iranian women´s and men´s) right to freedom and all other true democratic rights!

Another woman flaunted her uncovered head on the side of a busy highway in front of what appears to be a billboard with the faces of Iranian mullahs.

I’ll say this simply, I want freedom. It is my right as a human being to be free. I want to shout out my freedom! Exactly in front of the billboard behind me!! I was pulled over one time while driving, because of “inappropriate dressing.” They towed away my car and called me to court. We are suffocating here under the ruling of this tyranny.

10527754_908903149123780_1630304612416328929_n

The young woman below normally hides beneath a head scarf. But on this day, her shocking pink tresses hung out the car window and she experienced the freedom of the breeze blowing through her hair, something most American women take for granted. She commented: “We have to respect each other instead of misjudging each other.” She added, “My hair, the blowing wind, and I… in city of Daar-Al-Ebadeh, Yazd.” Her smile of exhilaration speaks volumes about the simple joys of life that are not available to most Iranian women.

10462527_908613679152727_7205713476270334851_n

In the SoCal location where I live, I often see groups of young teen age kids at the beach on supervised outings - all chattering, happy and enjoying the experience. And more often than not there are one or two sad looking young girls sitting off to the side wearing long pants, long sleeves and a hijab. Don't tell me about respecting religious traditions, multi-culturalism or diversity. This is child abuse - plain and simple.
If they aren't using those hijabs anymore perhaps they could mail them to Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Sona Sotamajor.
Seize an arsenal and start a revolution.
my Aunty Makayla got an awesome 6 month old Mercedes C-Class C 63 MAG just by part-time work from a laptop. visit the site.
==========>>>>http://www.job-wiki.com/
It's my understanding that the following are the accurate names of the official Islamic Female attire: 1) Hijab = Headscarf, can be (depending on local custom), any color or pattern. 2) Chador = Black head covering, (including obscuring all but the eyes), plus long (to the ground) Black robe like dress. 3) Burka = Same as #2 above EXCEPT Light Blue & has what appears to be a screen covering the eyes.
Don't be surprised if these courageous women are now being hunted by the religious police.
Of course the real War on Womyn rolls on unabated right here in AmeriKKKa. None of these women have suffered the humiliation of having to pay 9 bucks a month for birth control because their Christo-fascist Rethuglican boss won't pick up the tab! (sarcasm)
Sad thing the /sarc tag is needed.
The "war on women" frauds in the US ought to be ashamed of themselves reading this, but I doubt they are, their ends justify the means and moral relativism methods trumps all.
You are absolutely right. The war on women is way worse in Iran. These brave women are obviously inspired by our Founding Fathers, justly fighting against a patriarchy and Koranic teachings that tell them what to wear, whereas American women seem more interested in rebelling against a patriarchy and Biblical teachings that tells them what to do with their bodies.
I don't think our Founders figure into it. Their source of inspiration was Christ, the Living Word of God, who in no way resembles the false god that the heathens use as an excuse for brutality of any kind.
That's Who inspires them, as He is Nature's God.
I don't think it has anything to do with Christ. Unlike other countries in the Levant and North Africa, Persia was never fully Arabized. Indeed, many still today resent those denizens of the desert. Iran's rich history and culture long preceded the conquest and, while they adopted the Arabic alphabet, they didn't give up their own language. Persia has a history of tolerance, from the days of Cyrus who freed the Jews from Babylonian bondage, to the days of the Shah under whom the Bahai were secure and prospered. But Persia, or Iran, under Islamic rule is another matter altogether.

So yeah, outside of Israel, Iranians are the most pro-Western in the region, and most rarely set foot in a mosque. They long for freedom from Islamic tyranny like few others.

One need only compare the paths taken in the 1970s. Saudi Arabia used much of its oil wealth to promote the spread of fundamentalist, Wahhabist Islam around the world. Iran used much of its oil wealth to build roads, electrify its villages, cover its previously open sewer lines, improve its agriculture and build its ports and any number of universities.

Full disclosure: I was in Iran in 1976 when one could encountert some of the Israelis providing development assistance there. There were no Israelis in Saudi Arabia.
I doubt if people like that will be reading this. In fact I doubt they read much of anything.
Brave women defying a vicious & brutal gov't. God bless 'em!
What an awesome grass roots movement.
Seize an arsenal and start a revolution.

2 Trackbacks to “Iranian Women ‘Stealthily’ Shed Their Hijabs as Americans Celebrate Independence Day”