The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

May 8, 2014 - 8:27 am

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said that unless the Republican Party changes its stripes, it can kiss the Oval Office goodbye.

“I think that it’s pretty clear we have Democrats that are viable, and I think the Republicans, unless they change, they change, they can’t elect a president,” Reid told MSNBC when asked about 2016. “They’re — they’ve done everything to dump on women. They’ve done everything to dump on Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians, gay and lesbians. And who else have I left off? They have — they have taken everybody.”

When asked if there was any Republican he feared could win, Reid quipped, “I would hope that Newt Gingrich would run. I’m scared to death of him.”

“I don’t see anybody out there now,” he added.

The majority leader stressed that in the Senate, “I do a lot of the things that I learned from the Clintons.”

But he lamented the filibuster, which he unilaterally did away with on nominations yet is still vexing him on key bills such as raising the minimum wage.

“I’ve had to overcome more than 500 filibusters, 500. To give your viewers kind of an idea how many that is, during the six years that Lyndon Johnson was leader, he had to overcome one. Mine, over 500. And it’s because of the deal they made right after Obama was elected. So I hope that they will suddenly change,” he said.

Reid hailed himself as a “deal-maker.”

“That’s what I did. I ran the floor for Senator Daschle for all those years. And I — you can ask Republicans then, who were here the — I was the guy they came to to get things done,” he said, adding that he won’t be budging from a minimum wage hike to $10.10.

“Why have I had to overcome 500 filibusters, I mean, on motions to proceed that mean nothing except to eat up time. So, you know, we were given the assurance that at the beginning of this year there would be no motions to proceed necessary. Of course that lasted about a week and a half. So I say to my Republican friends, let us get on these bills. We — we use of hundreds and hundreds of hours on waste. On the floor today, I said everybody be aware out there in TV land, why are we doing nothing today? Because we are now in another filibuster,” he said in reference to an energy efficiency bill.

“…One of the problems that press has in modern day journalism is everything you do is a tit for tat. You won’t call things the way they actually exist. What’s happening here is the Republicans have stopped everything from happening. And there’s no question that that meeting took place. That was an agreement made. They know who was there. They know what has happened since then. So you can give me the tit for tat all you want, but the fact is, we want to legislate. We want to legislate. We want to take votes.”

Bridget Johnson is a veteran journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She is an NPR contributor and has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

Harry Reid: concern troll.
Thanks for the friendly advice Harry. I'm sure you have the gop's best interest at heart.
...Sen Reid then started yelling "Koch, Koch, Koch!" and foaming at the mouth until a staffer arrived with an injection of sedatives.
Start working at home with Google! Just work for few hours. I earn up to $500 per week. It's a great work at home opportunity. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out. Linked here http://goo.gl/f6e95V
Of course, the Democrats can elect thugs, rapists, psychotics, whatever...
Harry Reid is a mean, spiteful, obsessive, old man. Mentally unbalanced.

On topics as diverse as lying about Mitt Romney's taxes to his obsession with the Koch brothers to he, a corrupt old self-serving Nevada pol, lying about republicans' contempt for the poor, he demonstrates his nuttiness at every turn.

That such a person heads up the United States Senate sits as a paradigm of what Washington DC has become.
Maybe one of the Koch brothers could run. That would make Dirty Harry squirm.
Squirm? I don't think so. I think he'd go into a complete meltdown.
The little worm fails to mention the dozens of house bills sitting collecting dust in the senate where he refuses to allow a vote. Many of those bills would pass if brought to the senate floor. Harry only wants votes on his bills and whines when his opposition exercise their prerogatives to try to stop the far-left partisan steamroller that threatens all of us. Then of course the republicans are the obstructionists, not the man who won't allow a vote on anything he doesn't like.
The funniest thing is that so many Liberals actually believe Harry Reid, and sadly, even a few Republicans do as well.

As Liberals want us to lose and/or die, it's best just to ignore his helpful advice.
Go change your diaper, Reid.
"they’ve done everything to dump on women. They’ve done everything to dump on Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians, gay and lesbians."

Could the game-plan be any more transparent? As least it saves this sad muffin having to actually construct an argument.
That is as close to an argument as he's going to construct. We're all sadly aware he/Obama/Pelosi can't run on accomplishments.
If Republicans cannot elect a president, it won't be due to a failure to change but due to the issues of voter fraud & changing voter demographics that favor the Democrats.
Harry Reid: concern troll.
1 2 Next View All