The PJ Tatler

Bridget Johnson

April 28, 2014 - 6:17 pm

Secretary of State John Kerry just issued a statement in response to a leaked recording in which he warns that Israel could become an apartheid state:

For more than thirty years in the United States Senate, I didn’t just speak words in support of Israel, I walked the walk when it came time to vote and when it came time to fight. As Secretary of State, I have spent countless hours working with Prime Minister Netanyahu and Justice Minister Livni because I believe in the kind of future that Israel not only wants, but Israel deserves. I want to see a two state solution that results in a secure Jewish state and a prosperous Palestinian state, and I’ve actually worked for it.

I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone, particularly for partisan, political purposes, so I want to be crystal clear about what I believe and what I don’t believe.

First, Israel is a vibrant democracy and I do not believe, nor have I ever stated, publicly or privately, that Israel is an apartheid state or that it intends to become one. Anyone who knows anything about me knows that without a shred of doubt.

Second, I have been around long enough to also know the power of words to create a misimpression, even when unintentional, and if I could rewind the tape, I would have chosen a different word to describe my firm belief that the only way in the long term to have a Jewish state and two nations and two peoples living side by side in peace and security is through a two state solution. In the long term, a unitary, binational state cannot be the democratic Jewish state that Israel deserves or the prosperous state with full rights that the Palestinian people deserve. That’s what I said, and it’s also what Prime Minister Netanyahu has said. While Justice Minister Livni, former Prime Ministers Barak and Ohlmert have all invoked the specter of apartheid to underscore the dangers of a unitary state for the future, it is a word best left out of the debate here at home.

Bridget Johnson is a career journalist whose news articles and opinion columns have run in dozens of news outlets across the globe. Bridget first came to Washington to be online editor at The Hill, where she wrote The World from The Hill column on foreign policy. Previously she was an opinion writer and editorial board member at the Rocky Mountain News and nation/world news columnist at the Los Angeles Daily News. She has contributed to USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, National Review Online, Politico and more, and has myriad television and radio credits as a commentator. Bridget is Washington Editor for PJ Media.

I will not allow my commitment to (send) Israel (to the sea) to be questioned by anyone.

He walked the walk when it came time to fight? What time was that, Mr. Secretary?

I will not allow my commitment to Israel to be questioned by anyone.

Oh yeah? Well, I question it. So whattaya gonna do about it, Big John??

I see he's still blathering about a "unitary, binational state" as if that were even remotely a possibility.
Won't allow himself to be questioned about it.

The matter is "settled".

The imperious are never wrong, they are just misunderstood by partisans.

But John the Bupkis is not to be questioned. Remember that.
The man....if he is that.... is a real jerk. He has proved his lack of patriotism several times and is not even smart enough to keep his mouth shut.
I wish communism would come here too!
In 2004, the Jewish vote went 70-30 for Kerry. In 2008 and 2012, a likewise percentage voted for Obama. Obama chose Kerry for his Secretary of State. So what came first...the bad voting decisions or Kerry and Obama's real sentiments toward Israel?
I like cake.
A Liberal can call for the tape to be rewound, but a Conservative has no choice but to resign immediately and disappear into shamed obscurity.
Let me be crystal clear, Jean : The only thing that you control is your mouth.
And how do you plan to stop us? Prison?
Kerry pulled the same crap when he warned of a Third Intifada if his peace plan wasn't accepted. Here's a man who's so concerned about his own place in history that he doesn't care if Israel has a future at all. Scratch an Israel basher and underneath you'll find an anti-semite.
You couldn't even support your own "comrades in arms" during the Vietnam war. Why would we believe you have any sort of commitment to another country?

BTW as others have said We don't need you permission to not believe you.
I was against the state of Israel before I was for it
Racism in basketball? What does this fool think that he just stated? In my 67 years I have never seen so many unqualified people in positions of power. We are going backwards as a nation and if Hillary Clinton becomes president we will be destroyed.
1 2 3 4 Next View All