The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

December 12, 2013 - 2:59 pm

The only obvious choice, really. Barack Obama, step forward and claim your LOTY prize for declaring, roughly 37 times on tape, that “if you like your healthcare, you can keep your healthcare.”

It was a catchy political pitch and a chance to calm nerves about his dramatic and complicated plan to bring historic change to America’s health insurance system.

“If you like your health care plan, you can keep it,” President Barack Obama said — many times — of his landmark new law.

But the promise was impossible to keep.

So this fall, as cancellation letters were going out to approximately 4 million Americans, the public realized Obama’s breezy assurances were wrong.

Boiling down the complicated health care law to a soundbite proved treacherous, even for its promoter-in-chief.  Obama and his team made matters worse, suggesting they had been misunderstood all along. The stunning political uproar led to this: a rare presidential apology.

For all of these reasons, PolitiFact has named “If you like your health care plan, you can keep it,” the Lie of the Year for 2013. Readers in a separate online poll overwhelmingly agreed with the choice.

Read the rest. PolitiFact deploys armies of words to say, more or less, that Barack Obama is the liar of liars for 2013.

Second runner up?

A) it was a YouTube Video

B) it was rogue agents in Cincinnati

C) I never said red line

D) I am not a dictator

E) I never met my uncle

F) I'm going to get to the bottom of these leaks

G) I'm going to get to the bottom of this spying

H) I'm going to get to the bottom of Fast and Furious

I) I'm going to get to the bottom of the barrel...oh, wait ...
LITTLE BY LITTLE, OBAMA'S BIG LIES GOT HIM ELECTED.
"I did say it was a terrorist attack"
Obama, Presidential Debate 2012
"Yes, Mitt, he did say it was a terrorist attack."
Candy Kissass, Presidential Debate 2012

L
Let's take lie "E" a bit deeper than just its face value.

Of course, Barry lied about not knowing his uncle, but having been caught in that one, he raises more unanswered questions. To paraphrase John F. Kerry - who once was in Vietnam - Barry didn't know he had an uncle who lived in Boston before he knew he had an uncle who lived in Boston.

How did Barry even know that his uncle lived in Boston and when did he know it? How did he even know how to contact his uncle?

In fact, how did Barry get to Boston in the first place, i.e., who paid for his plane ticket?

Barry make Baghdad Bob seem honest.
I am not a crook.
I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
You can keep your plan.
I think that it tops even "The check's in the mail" and "I *promise* I won't (you know what) in your mouth"
Lie of the year is oh so yesterday.

Liar of the year is the new hotness.

And we already have a lifetime achievement honoree.
It's not Obama's fault that he lies. He's got a certifiable disease: Acute Bullsh!t Syndrome.
I feel certain he was being non-performative cuz he's a non-performative kinda guy.
Second runner up?

A) it was a YouTube Video

B) it was rogue agents in Cincinnati

C) I never said red line

D) I am not a dictator

E) I never met my uncle

F) I'm going to get to the bottom of these leaks

G) I'm going to get to the bottom of this spying

H) I'm going to get to the bottom of Fast and Furious

I) I'm going to get to the bottom of the barrel...oh, wait ...
Brilliant.