Get PJ Media on your Apple

PJM Lifestyle

4 Ways Being a Sorority Girl Prepared Me for the Real World

Part 1 in a new series: Learning the art of conversation.

by
Becky Graebner

Bio

October 30, 2013 - 9:00 am
Page 1 of 5  Next ->   View as Single Page

alabama-sorority-girls-allegedly-promised-free-drinks-if-they-voted-in-local-elections

I was what every freshman girl in college was: new, bright-eyed, and looking for friends.  Although my campus was small (2,100 people total), I wanted to find my niche.  I decided to go through the sorority-recruitment process in order to meet other girls on campus and, hopefully, find a home away from home.  Although recruitment season usually indicates long days, sleepless nights, and over-caffeinated, stressed-out girls, this process does teach life lessons–such as how to be strong in an interview or a good conversationalist.

I know this last sentence sounds preposterous. How could going through the process of recruitment or “rush” to join a “house” of women on a college campus prepare anyone for life? Or a job interview? Or how to carry on a conversation?

Hear me out.

Top Rated Comments   
IOW, you are saying that you are better than people who are judgmental and too cool for others.

I'm just being ironic.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
I don't think that learning how to talk to strangers with confidence, interview well, or behave during a conversation translates into learning how to be "superficial." There are definitely sororities out there who exist to party and make "barbie clones" out of their members, but others do challenge women to cultivate skills--how to network, interview, general etiquette tips, etc.
TV/movies have made sororities and fraternities into a bit of a mockery--their TV portrayal is very different from what actually happens in real life. It is unfortunate that so many people are prejudiced against our organizations. I hope that someday we can change your mind.

Thanks for reading, jlw!
-Becky

43 weeks ago
43 weeks ago Link To Comment
so you "learned" how to be superficial.
43 weeks ago
43 weeks ago Link To Comment
All Comments   (31)
All Comments   (31)
Sort: Newest Oldest Top Rated
(sorry for the double post)
41 weeks ago
41 weeks ago Link To Comment
Becky, GREAT article! Your experience reflects mine. I'm so glad that I had the sorority experience in college. It was priceless in business. I'm now in upper management, and doubt I would have gotten this high on the corporate food chain had it not been for the skills I learned in Greek Life. Like you, I learned how to talk to anyone. It was great to learn how to be interviewed, and now, it's useful in knowing how to interview others. I learned how to conduct a meeting, speak in public with confidence, handle sorority funds, attend business parties and functions with grace, and most importantly, I learned how to become a leader. Non-Greek's have no idea that sorority officers go through intensive training programs. That's OK. let them say what they want to say. You and I know the value, and we both benefitted professionally from it.
41 weeks ago
41 weeks ago Link To Comment
41 weeks ago
41 weeks ago Link To Comment
my best friend's mother-in-law makes $78 every hour on the internet. She has been fired for eight months but last month her pay check was $16610 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog here>>>> http://xurl.es/6sexw
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
My last pay check was 9500 dolr working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can't believe how easy it was once I tried it out.........>>>>>>>> http://xurl.es/z16n0
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
I remember when the richest, most spoiled-brat girls in my high school went skiiing as a group in Colorado back in the 1980s. The van that was supposed to pick them up didn't show up, so they had to walk ... like ... miles ... probably ... in the snow without lunch. In reality, I think they had to walk several blocks.

One of the girls wrote it up in the school newspaper like a near-death experience that changed her entire life. Lots of other girls in the school who wanted to be in her queen bee club empathized with her, so she never did find out that she was a moron.

As for the rest, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I agree with the comment that many sorority girls end up as housewives, so what do they care if they are prepared for the "real world" or not? They will never have to face it.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
This is just ridiculous. The very fact that she thinks that those activities prepared her for the real world shows that she still isn't ready for the real world.

I think many sorority girls wind up being housewives, supported by some sap. Then they all blog and high-five each other about how their sorority days were awesome and totally prepared them for life in the real world (should they ever have to experience that in the future).
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Seriously?
Look, if all you do in college is party with a frat or a sorority, then yeah, you've wasted four years of your life. But with the right attitude (and a non-kegger frat or sorority) you can develop valuable skills and do some good networking. Just because it's not the Army doesn't mean it can't be useful. You get out of it what you put into it. That's true for almost anything. And I can say that: I'm a 14-year combat veteran of two branches of the armed forces.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
So you were in the army and that makes you believable? You couldn't even get your 20 years in?

It could be that other posters here also had a military career, they just don't think it's relevant to comments on the musings of some young girl. Why are you posting your overinflated-ego crap here?
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Have you any idea whatsoever about why he left the military? I can think of any number of good, honourable reasons for leaving early.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Sure, and it wasn't really necessary for me to say that. My overall point, though, is that a detailed discussion of someone being in the army seems kind of irrelevant to the point of whether a sorority girl is now prepared for real life (or to be a housewife as the case may be). Seems like just getting older out in the real world, whether in a company or in the army or as a self-employed attorney or a small business owner, is enough of a qualification.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Regrettably, your statement that "...Being a Sorority Girl Prepared Me for the Real World" is probably correct, at least in this society as it now stands.

I can't think of a better way to say "Being a Sorority Girl Prepared Me to be a Glib Parasite Who Will Instinctively Know How to Kowtow to our Muslim Overlords and Get the Best Deal Possible for Myself and My Friends."

Western Civilization is in a fight for its life. And its enemies view you as a useful idiot.

42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
I went to college thinking that I'd never waste my time with a sorority - and ended up as president of one! I will never say that being in a sorority or fraternity is for everyone. Nor would I have joined a sorority at a different university. But I have never regretted having joined a sorority at my campus - I learned how to run meetings, how to work with 80 different personalities, conflict resolution, team building, dealing with difficult people and also working with the administration at the university. These are skills that I've leveraged far more than the three semesters of calculus I took. So my recommendation is to never say never when it comes to looking at options such as joining an organization like a fraternity or a sorority.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Escaped from IL, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for sharing.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Bill Lawrence - I don't think your judgments are correct and are too harsh.

I attended school on athletic scholarship at a major university. In some sports, it was a major power.

I was from a poor single mother home so a scholarship was a necessity. The coaches clearly wanted to isolate us from the rest of the school - a wise move from them since competing at the national level required intense focus and commitment and an absence of distractions. This helped athletically, but did me no favors socially or in terms of ability to network. There are abuses to the Greek system, but there are solid groups as well. I would have benefited greatly from a "normal" college experience, and being in a frat would have been one of them.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
Me? You got the wrong guy. I liked the articled.
42 weeks ago
42 weeks ago Link To Comment
1 2 3 Next View All