The 10 Best Criterion Collection Movies on Hulu

Some of the greatest films of all time are right at your fingertips.

Kyle Smith

September 13, 2013 - 9:30 am

If you’re a subscriber to Hulu Plus, one of the side benefits is free access to the many dazzling jewels of the Criterion Collection, which restores classic films, mainly from other countries, many of which are not available on Netflix. The vast majority are seldom shown on cable or pay TV. Of the 869 Criterion titles currently available on Hulu Plus — the full list is available here – these are ten of the best.

10. Burden of Dreams (1982)

A crazy ode to the love of filmmaking stars the gifted and driven German director Werner Herzog as he struggles to make his baggy masterpiece Fitzcarraldo, which originally starred Jack Nicholson and Mick Jagger until both dropped out. The film is about a demented genius who attempts to drag a full-sized ship over a mountain in the Amazonian rainforest, and being the perfectionist he was Herzog decided, using rudimentary native tools and muscle, to do the same. The film has a rating of 100 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

9. The Great Dictator (1940).

The first satiric attack Hollywood ever launched on Adolf Hitler is still the best. In his first-ever talkie, Charlie Chaplin (who also wrote and directed, at a time when there was an informal rule against provoking Germany with anti-Nazi films) spoofs “Adenoid Hynkel” as the madman he was. Chaplin also plays a Jewish barber with amnesia unaware that anti-semitic forces have taken over his country.

Anna. I see what you mean... Alice`s st0ry is something... last tuesday I got a gorgeous Citroën 2CV when I got my cheque for $5209 this-last/five weeks and-a little over, ten/k last munth. it's by-far my favourite work I've ever done. I actually started six months/ago and pretty much straight away started bringing in at least $87, per-hr. website here http://www.wep6.com
Go to website and click Home tab for more details.
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Much obliged for the list!
Hoop Dreams is a great movie, but I the Criterion Collection is not the reason you should get Hulu Plus. It's all about the great anime selection and foreign films that this service gets that keeps me a faithful subscriber.
Read the article, watched the trailers.

Remembered why, I never go by another person's opinion on movies.
I have seen most of these, but I would replace #2 with Portrait of Jennie>. That movie haunted me since I first saw it.
>>"Swedish director Lasse Hallstrom (who got his start directing ABBA videos and later turned into a Hollywood hack)"

What a stupid remark. Since "My Life as a Dog", Hallstrom has directed "Once Around," "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "The Cider House Rules," "Chocolat", "The Hoax," "Hachi," and "Salmon Fishing on the Yemen" -- all unusual and often luminous films. He's directed a number of forgettable commercial films as well, not terrible, but not as ambitious or unconventional. He seems to one of the few filmmakers who's balanced the artistic and commercial or more popularly accessible. He is no way, by any definition, a "hack."

And Truffaut is overrrated. So is Chaplin.
I think Jack Oakie as Mussolini nearly stole the show in "The Great Dictator." Certainly that was the masterpiece performance of his career.

And I don't mean that to take anything away from Chaplin's brilliance in the movie.
I'm going to second Monkey's comment, Yojimbo and The Seven Samurai are two of my favorite Kurosawa films, and both got Criterion releases.
I'm a little miffed there's nothing b Kurosawa in this list, nor Jean-Luc Goddard, but I suppose it's a matter of taste. Concerning no. 4, Ascenseur pour l'echafaud, the soundtrack was composed and played by Miles Davis and is worth owning in it's own right.
Unfortunately, the only way to get movies here in Israel without stealing them is to have a US iTunes account; it appears Apple is the only company not to check your IP.

It's still probably illegal, but at least I'm payign for it.
1 2 Next View All