Orlando Terrorist Worked for Same Security Contractor That Has Been Moving Illegal Aliens Into U.S. by the Vanload

Gun control proponents have been blaming the 2nd Amendment for Orlando nightclub shooter Omar Mateen's easy access to guns, but the terrorist had been working for a major Department of Homeland Security contractor for nearly a decade, and had somehow passed two screening and background checks with the company. Concerns about Mateen's "angry, loud, and profane" outbursts apparently went unheeded for years.

G4S Secure Solutions USA Inc. is the same security contractor that has been quietly transporting vanloads of illegal aliens to selected urban areas around the country, as was reported here at PJ Media earlier this month.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the company has been plagued by a series of high-profile gaffes in recent years and in the wake of its most recent failure, is seeing its stock take a dive in Monday trading.

G4S PLC is best known here for botching its contract to provide security for the 2012 London Olympics, which forced the U.K. government to mobilize 4,700 troops to make up for a shortfall in personnel. It also faced questions after an employee who was vetting prospective guards told a local television station that she and others were pressured to push through questionable candidates to provide the promised security force on schedule.

G4S said at the time that its vetters met an industry standard when selected. The company apologized and covered the cost of the short-staffing.

A year after the Olympics, G4S Chief Executive Nick Buckles resigned and was replaced by Ashley Almanza, who for the past three years has been trying to reshape the firm into a nimbler, more-profitable company.

[...]

In a statement, G4S said it had employed the 29-year-old Mr. Mateen at a gated retirement community in South Florida. It said that company screening and background checks during his recruitment in 2007 “revealed nothing of concern,” and that “his screening was repeated in 2013 with no findings.”

G4S said it learned in 2013 that the Federal Bureau of Investigation had questioned Mr. Mateen, “but that the inquiries were subsequently closed.” The company said it wasn’t made aware of any alleged terrorist connections with Mr. Mateen, and was unaware of any subsequent FBI investigations.

A later statement from G4S changed some of the initial statement’s wordings, calling the 2007 screening “detailed” and saying the 2013 rescreening ended with “no adverse findings.” The later statement deleted the references to the FBI and to the timing of G4S’s knowledge of the FBI’s inquiry, saying that Mr. Mateen had been subject to checks by a U.S. law-enforcement agency with “no findings” reported to G4S.

G4S said it was fully cooperating with authorities on their current investigations. It declined to comment further on Monday.

Mateen, who held two firearms licenses and a security officer license, regularly made threats of violence, according to a former G4s employee who worked with him. Daniel Gilroy told the Tampa Bay Times that Mateen  was "an angry, loud, profane man who used slurs for gay people, blacks, Jews and women." Gilroy said that he "never used other words to describe them.”

“He talked about killing people all the time,” Gilroy told The New York Times. And Gilroy wasn’t surprised when he learned of the massacre: “I saw it coming.”

Gilroy said Mateen started badgering him and sending dozens of text messages to him daily. Gilroy said he reported Mateen’s behavior to his bosses.

“I kind of feel a little guilty that I didn’t fight harder,” Gilroy said. “If I didn’t walk away and I fought, then maybe 50 people would still be alive today.” [Emphasis added]

Gilroy, a former Fort Pierce police officer, said he complained to his employer several times but it did nothing because Mateen was Muslim.