We have created a fresh weekly newsletter to bring you the top articles on Parenting, Lifestyle, and Faith.

Sign up now to save time and stay informed!

14-Year-Old Girl Electrocuted by Cell Phone in Bathtub

Madison Coe, of Lubbock, Texas, tragically died at the age of 14. Coe was taking a bath when she grabbed her cell phone as it was plugged in and charging. She was electrocuted, just months away from starting high school in Houston, where her family was set to move.

As countless teens and young adults use cell phones throughout the day, it is important to remember that they aren't always safe. Coe's family has shared her story as a way to help others avoid the same fate.

KCBD shared their story:

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened," [Coe's grandmother, Donna] O'Guinn said.

Madison's family believes this terrible accident is something that could happen to anyone.

But now their mission is to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else. And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging," O'Guinn said.

The post about Coe on Facebook continues to be shared, opening up many eyes to the power of electricity, and the danger of plugging in any electrical appliance near water.

"It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult. We don’t want to lose anybody," O'Guinn said.

Coe's family was proud of the teen, who was a good student, a basketball player, and tuba player in the band. She was always a positive person and was taken far too young, they said.

"We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix," O'Guinn said. "She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart."