News & Politics

Updated: Snipers Open Fire on Police at Dallas Protest, Multiple Fatalities

See below for updates.

Late Thursday evening, several police officers were shot at a rally protesting police brutality in Dallas, Texas. Videos on social media confirm the shots, the chaos, and that the lives of police officers were in danger.

Three Dallas Police Department officers have been killed, Fox News 4 is reporting. Two police officers are in surgery, and three are in critical condition. Two snipers reportedly shot ten officers from elevated positions during the protest rally, which was hosted by a faith group.

The Dallas Area Rapid Transit’s official Twitter account added that at least one of its officers has been killed. Four were shot, but three are expected to recover.

The Associated Press reported that the gunfire broke out around 8:45 p.m. Police officers are searching for the gunmen throughout downtown Dallas. Local man Carlos Harris told the Dallas Morning News that the shooters “were strategic. It was tap tap pause. Tap tap pause.” Here is a video where the shots can be heard in the distance:

Here is another one showing police officers running for their lives:

Reverend Jeff Hood, a rally organizer, told the Dallas Morning News that he was at the front of the protest, “right there with an officer,” and he heard “what sounded like six to eight shots.” “I saw people scramble,” Hood added. “The officer ran towards the shots, I ran away from the shots trying to get people off the streets, and I was grabbing myself to see if I was shot.” The protest in Dallas was one of many gatherings in cities across the country to protest the recent police shootings of 37-year-old Alton Sterling (killed outside a convenience store in Baton Rouge, Louis.) and Philando Castile (shot during a traffic stop in Minnesota. Protests across the country broke out on Thursday. The Associated Press reported that protesters first gathered in midtown Manhattan, chanting, “The people united, never be divided!” and “What do we want? Justice. When do we want it? Now!” The protesters proceeded to march up Fifth Avenue in New York City, blocking traffic during the height of rush hour as police scrambled to keep up.  See next page for updates on this developing story: UPDATE 12:26 a.m. EST:  

UPDATE 1:10 a.m. EST: 

UPDATE 1:50 a.m. EST:

Dallas Police Chief David O. Brown gave an update on Thursday’s attack on police officers at an early morning press conference.

He said that law enforcement officials have been “in negotiations” with a male suspect at the el Centro garage in Dallas for the last 45 minutes. The suspect has thus far been uncooperative and exchanging gunfire with police. Chief Brown said the suspect has warned that “the end is coming and he’s going to kill more of us, meaning law enforcement.” He also said that there are “bombs all over the place in this garage and in downtown,” Brown said.

“We still don’t have a complete comfort level that we have all the suspects,” Brown told reporters. He said they will continue a “very vigorous investigation and search of downtown” until they are satisfied that all suspects have been captured.
Chief Brown noted that the snipers were “working together with rifles, triangulated at elevated positions in different points in the downtown area where the march ended up going, the route of the march.” He speculated that the suspects likely had some knowledge of the protest route, suggesting that they were aware of the plans for the protest.
Mayor Mike Rawlings said that downtown Dallas is still an active crime scene and “we are still determining how bit that crime scene is.” He asked residents to be patient as they would likely have to deal with road closures and other inconveniences in the morning. He also urged the city and the country to “come together.” He said, “Words matter. Leadership matters at this time. “