A new U.N. report says that nearly 20,000 civilians were killed during Iraq’s bloody conflict between January 2014 and October 2015.
And that number might be significantly higher.
“Despite their steady losses to pro-government forces, the scourge of [ISIS] continues to kill, maim and displace Iraqi civilians in the thousands and to cause untold suffering,” U.N. special representative Ján Kubiš says in a statement.
Here’s a look at the numbers in the U.N. report:
At least 18,802: Number of civilians killed between Jan. 1, 2014, and Oct. 31, 2015
36,245: Number of civilians wounded during that same time period.
3,855: Number of civilians killed between May 1 and Oct. 31, 2015. Baghdad governorate had the highest number, at 1,875.
1,717: Number of civilians killed by improvised explosive devices between May 1 and Oct 31, 2015.
3.2 million: Number of people inside Iraq who have been forced to flee their homes from January 2014 through September of last year.
More than 1 million: Number of school-age children forced from their homes during that same time period.
Obviously, these numbers are beyond staggering. News like this certainly won’t quell speculation about the need for the U.S. to commit ground troops to the battle against ISIS, which President Obama says he is opposed to but most of the American public isn’t.
In reality, Obama would probably like to pass this mess on to his successor without having to take any major action that might tarnish his legacy. Remember, he’s got Iraq filed in the “Success” column.