YouTube last week deplatformed a YouTube channel that specialized in exposing Stolen Valor cases. “Stolen Valor,” of course, refers to cases where dishonorable pretenders are caught making fraudulent claims of military honors they didn’t earn. Retired Navy Seal Don Shipley has made it his life’s mission to expose these shameless charlatans. His channel had 232,806 subscribers at the time it was taken down and had been in operation since around 2008.
He told PJ Media that he thinks his channel was taken down because he had “outed Nathan Phillips,” who had “masqueraded as a Vietnam vet.”
Your ongoing viewpoint discrimination against the Right is wrong & un-America
But taking down the channel of #DonShipley who exposes #StolenValor military poseurs is disgraceful
— Jim Hanson (@JimHansonDC) February 26, 2019
Shipley confirmed that he’d been “booted off YouTube” in a post on his “Extreme SEAL Adventures” Facebook page on February 21.
Shipley told PJ Media that this wasn’t the first time his channel had been put in “YouTube Prison.”
“I have been in YouTube Prison before when phony SEALs would cry to them about being posted,” Shipley said via email. He said his posting privileges in the past had been restricted for six months.
“This time I was told/emailed I was banned from a video I had posted several years ago about a phony SEAL, but after several years I doubt that caused it,” he said. “If you ask me, it was because I outed Nathan Philips. That Indian who masqueraded as a Vietnam vet,” Shipley added. “THAT video got a lot of attention and a lot of big lawsuits pending from it.”
In one of his most recent videos, Shipley exposed “tribal elder” Phillips, who falsely accused the Covington Catholic High School kids of bullying him in Washington, D.C., last month.
Phillips had repeatedly made claims of being a “recon ranger” and a “Vietnam times veteran” who came home and was “spit on” and “called a baby killer,” even though his service record shows that he had zero deployments and never left the United States.
Shipley talked about the case in a video that went viral.
The truth on #NathanPhillips per DD214 fm #DonShipley A poseur assassinhttps://t.co/1h4P6xAadj
Not a Vietnam vet
Served in USMC 72-76
Refrigerator mechanic not a "Recon Ranger
& the big finish
Thanks for your service Nate
Now shut up
NSFW but awesome pic.twitter.com/AcZciLewKi
— Jim Hanson (@JimHansonDC) January 23, 2019
Last month, Phillips set off a media firestorm when he claimed in multiple interviews that the boys had formed a “mob” around him and mocked him as he was peacefully marching. The false narrative resulted in hundreds of threats against the school and the school’s students from across the country by phone, email, and social media.
Lawyers representing Nicholas Sandmann have already identified over 50 people who may be liable and have sent them document preservation letters.
Attorneys L. Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry last week filed a lawsuit against the Washington Post seeking $250 million in both compensatory and punitive damages.
The team also intends to sue Phillips, whose lies got the ball rolling on the agenda-driven smear campaign against their client and the rest of the Covington boys.
The reason given by YouTube for the termination of the account was “multiple or severe violations of YouTube’s policy prohibiting content designed to harass, bully or threaten.”
The liars, pretenders, and frauds he exposed undoubtedly felt threatened by the videos, but his 232,806 subscribers obviously felt otherwise.
You can still follow Shipley’s work on the Extreme SEAL Adventures Facebook page and his Extreme SEAL Experience website.