Audio Interview: Whit Stillman Discusses Damsels in Distress
Ever since 1990's Metropolitan, writer-director Whit Stillman has been documenting the foibles and mores of
elite WASPs the "urban haute bourgeoisie." His latest film, Damsels in Distress, is set at fictional Seven Oaks College, and explores the efforts of Greta Gerwig as Violet Wister, Analeigh Tipton as Lily and Megalyn Echikunwoke as the posh London accented-Rose, to reform the slovenly boys of the school's frat house. Along the way, they team up to create the Sambola, the dance craze of 2012.
In this ten minute interview Stillman discusses:
- Why it's been 14 years since his previous film, The Last Days of Disco.
- How the independent film market has changed since the 1990s.
- How Damsels references both Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco.
- When we can expect to see 1994's Barcelona on Blu-Ray and/or in the Criterion Collection.
- When we can expect Stillman's next film.
And much more. Click below to listen to our interview:
If your browser/Internet connection balks at the Flash player above and/or downloading the audio, click on the player below, or click here to be taken to YouTube, for an audio-only YouTube clip. Between one of those versions, you should find a format that plays on your system.
For the rest of podcasts at the PJM Lifestyle blog, start here and keep scrolling.
Article printed from PJ Lifestyle: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2012/4/28/whit-stillman