KNOWN WOLF, AGAIN: As Usual, NY-NJ Bomber Rahami Was Already Known to Authorities
In July, Oklahoma Senator Jim Lankford announced he would be launching a six-month probe of intelligence failures in terrorism cases. He particularly would focus on those cases where suspects had already been investigated by law enforcement authorities.
(Ed. note: Poole has termed these cases "Known Wolf" terrorism, and has covered dozens of them here at PJ Media. Read below for links.)
As we follow the ongoing news about the manhunt for this weekend's NY-NJ serial bomber Ahmad Khan Rahami and his capture yesterday, we can already add Rahami's name to the growing list of "Known Wolf" terrorists. Yesterday, Catherine Herridge of Fox News reported that Rahami was already known to law enforcement authorities:
Fox News' Catherine Herridge reports NYC/NJ bombing suspect Ahmad Khan Rahami was known to authorities. pic.twitter.com/mXVNofBGDP
— Fox News (@FoxNews) September 19, 2016
However, FBI officials downplayed that claim with wordplay during their press conference yesterday:
FBI on NJ and NY bomb suspect: Nothing to indicate he was currently on our radar. pic.twitter.com/22xA62VWVL
— Fox News (@FoxNews) September 19, 2016
It appears the key word in the FBI's claim was "currently." Multiple media reports now indicate that Rahami was indeed flagged by the FBI back in 2014.
The New York Times reports today:
Two years before Ahmad Khan Rahami went on a bombing rampage in New York and New Jersey, his father told the police that the son was a terrorist, prompting a review by federal agents, according to two senior law enforcement officials [...]
The father made the statement about his son being a terrorist to New Jersey police in 2014, when Mr. Rahami was arrested after a domestic dispute and accused of stabbing his brother.
The information was passed to the Joint Terrorism Task Force led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in Newark. Officers opened what is known as an assessment, the most basic of F.B.I. investigations, and interviewed the father, who then recanted.
An official, when asked about the inquiry, said the father made the comment out of anger at his son.
It is not clear if officers interviewed Ahmad Rahami.
Rahami was flagged in the FBI’s Guardian system, which is a general database of tips and reports of suspicious activity, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the continuing investigation into the bombs set off in Manhattan and in New Jersey.
Even more troubling is that a neighbor had alerted authorities that Rahami may be purchasing explosive:
Two years ago, Rahami's father told the FBI that his son was interacting with "bad people" overseas and a concerned citizen in the neighborhood told authorities that Rahami's associates may have been trying to procure explosives, sources told ABC News.
And Rahami had been arrested for stabbing someone in 2014, but not charged:
Exclusive: NYC terror suspect was previously arrested for stabbing someone -- but grand jury let him walk https://t.co/WV0HAhifDB
— Alana Goodman (@alanagoodman) September 20, 2016
The NY-NJ bombings can now be added to the growing list of domestic Islamic terrorist events in the U.S. committed by individuals who were already known to law enforcement. Below, find summaries and links discussing each case:
Orlando: Omar Mateen had been interviewed by the FBI on three separate occasions, including an open preliminary investigation in 2013 lasting 10 months, after telling others about mutual acquaintances shared with the Boston bombers and making extremist statements. He was investigated again in 2014 for his contacts with a suicide bomber who attended the same mosque. At one point Mateen was placed on two separate terrorism databases but was later removed.
Columbus, OH: When Mohamed Barry attacked patrons with a machete at an Israeli-owned deli and later charged police shouting "Allahu Akhbar," at which time he was shot and killed, he had already been investigated by the FBI for making extremist statements. Barry had been entered on a federal watch list and it appears remained on it until the time of the attack as his car had been flagged by authorities, but no further investigation was made.