Negotiating while Stupid
Over at Slate, there is a ridiculous article about a female academic who asks for too much and is rejected for the job. Naturally, it's because she is female. Seriously, after looking at the list of demands she wants, who would want her?:
As you know, I am very enthusiastic about the possibility of coming to Nazareth. Granting some of the following provisions would make my decision easier[:]
1) An increase of my starting salary to $65,000, which is more in line with what assistant professors in philosophy have been getting in the last few years.
2) An official semester of maternity leave.
3) A pre-tenure sabbatical at some point during the bottom half of my tenure clock.
4) No more than three new class preps per year for the first three years.
5) A start date of academic year 2015 so I can complete my postdoc.
The dumb advice given by feminists and books like Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead might make women feel good but no one, male or female, does themselves any favors being this entitled when looking for a job. Would you hire this list of demands, male or female? Leave your answer in the comments section.
Article printed from Dr. Helen: http://pjmedia.com/drhelen
URL to article: http://pjmedia.com/drhelen/2014/3/17/negotiating-while-stupid