Scalise Moved from Hospital to 'Intensive' Inpatient Rehab

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) talks to the media on Capitol Hill on May 4, 2017. (Rex Features via AP Images)

WASHINGTON — House Majority Whip Steve Scalise’s (R-La.) is finally out of the hospital six weeks after being shot in the hip during a congressional baseball practice.


MedStar Washington Hospital Center said today that Scalise “has made excellent progress” and was discharged Tuesday to begin “a period of intensive inpatient rehabilitation.”

“He is in good spirits and is looking forward to his return to work once he completes rehabilitation,” the statement continued. “He and his family are grateful for the care he received from the trauma team as well as the other doctors, nurses, and staff of MedStar Washington Hospital Center. The family also appreciates the outpouring of prayers and support during this time.”

Nearly two weeks ago, the hospital said Scalise had to go back into surgery “for the management of deep tissue infection related to his bullet wounds.”

Scalise’s office said July 5 that he had been “readmitted to the Intensive Care Unit at MedStar Washington Hospital Center due to new concerns for infection,” with his condition downgraded to “serious.” The next day, he “underwent surgery for the management of infection.”

Tyson Foods lobbyist Matt Mika, who was shot multiple times in the chest, was released from the hospital on June 23. Capitol Police Special Agent Crystal Griner is recovering from a gunshot to the ankle.


Dr. Jack Sava, director of trauma at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, told reporters days after the shooting that Scalise suffered “a single wound from a rifle, entering in the area of his left hip.”

“The bullet traveled straight across toward the other hip, in what we call a transpelvic gunshot wound. The round fragmented, and caused significant damage to bones, internal organs and blood vessels. I understand he was awake initially, but due to severe bleeding, by the time he arrived at MedSTAR by helicopter, he was in shock,” Sava said, noting that the congressman “received many units of blood transfusion for ongoing hemorrhage from multiple locations.”

Tweeted Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards today: “After many hard weeks, @SteveScalise leaves the hospital to take the next steps on his road to recovery. We’re rootin’ for you, Steve.”


Trending on PJ Media Videos

Join the conversation as a VIP Member