VodkaPundit

Required Reading

July 23rd, 2013 - 12:05 pm

Karol Markowicz on her 35th Americaversary:

I know there are people who move to the U.S and still refer to where they came from as “my country.” That wasn’t my parents and not just because they took our Soviet passports at the gate, called us traitors and told us to never return. They were here, in America, to be Americans and my brother and I were to be nothing but.

But here’s the thing about America, and yes I’ve noted this before, after awhile you’re just…American. I could keep a chip on my shoulder forever about being teased as a child, I could retreat into the culture I came from because some kids were jerks or I could move on with becoming who my parents brought me here to be.

And there’s really no other country in the world where that’s true. Now go read the whole thing.

Excellent link!
Sure there is. Canada is roughly the same, as I hear is Australia. But it takes a nation of immigrants for that to happen - Europe will not get there in my lifetime.
"after awhile you’re just…American" unless the bureaucrats treat you otherwise.

Just went for a surgery today. I've to sign some sort of document required by the Health dept. to disclose my race and my nationality. I can understand about race, but "nationality"?
>>when Jay-Z says “I thought this was America, people” it’s because even he knows what America means. “I thought this was Cuba, people” or “I thought this was Russia, people” doesn’t have quite the same connotation.
-----------------
So true. Ever hear anyone protesting some gross injustice or oppression by saying "that's un-Chinese" or "that's un-French"?