The PJ Tatler

Scott Ott

May 11, 2014 - 3:59 am

As the pundits place their bets in the 2016 presidential pony poll, Ben Carson comes out with a new book on May 20th that attempts to find the kind of common ground that makes us (or could make us) truly “One Nation.” It’s filled with common sense, gracious efforts to find compromise, along with scriptural guidance that, if followed, would doubtless make us a better nation.

But the pundits will, of course, dismiss Carson’s book, as they have dismissed him.

Since his February 2013 speech, with President Obama at the dais, before the National Prayer Breakfast, Carson’s media-generated persona has been shaped more by his alleged political incorrectness than by his brilliance as a neurosurgeon, or by the story of his hard-knocks rise from poverty, or by his plain-spoken approach to solving our nation’s woes.

In One Nation: What We Can All Do to Save America’s Future, he recounts how the White House reportedly called the prayer-breakfast organizers demanding an apology for some of his remarks. He declined to apologize, noting that he didn’t think the president was offended, and didn’t think he said anything inappropriate.

As I read a review copy of One Nation, I tried to do so without regard to presidential politics. After all, he starts by saying he doesn’t feel called to run for office, but he acknowledges that could change. I also know that behind the scenes, his friends and supporters are working to generate the kind of groundswell that looks like a calling. And frankly, outside of his friends and family, the only people who read this book will be those wondering whether he is “The One.”

I found myself reacting to Carson by saying, “Sure, wouldn’t it be great if politics really worked like this,” as he envisions sincere people on both sides working to find a principled compromise. But I know enough about politics from my experience as a local elected official to know that sincere, principled people, not controlled by larger forces, can be hard to find. Carson acknowledges that the political realm draws charlatans and scoundrels, but we should merely vote them out. Again, I thought, “If only…”

I wondered if Ben Carson is just too nice and too naive for politics.

His contention that taxation should be proportional to wealth — essentially a fixed percentage — is eminently reasonable. But the stranglehold of special interests with their pet loopholes is not only tough to break, it’s nearly impossible to imagine how a congressional majority willing to break it would ever get elected.

I don’t know if Ben Carson would make a good president, but he has a great story, brilliant mind, common sense values, and a strong work ethic. I think, at least, he would make an honest president.

We could do worse.

We have.

Scott Ott co-hosts a news, commentary and humor show called Trifecta on PJTV. He created and hosted the 20-part series on the Constitution titled Freedom's Charter. His satire site, ScrappleFace, spawned three books and praise from Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin and many others.
I'll settle for not being ruled by affirmative action. Albeit well intentioned in the minds of many, it's just about the most destructive concept to ever see the light of day in our country. It should be abolished & over time people won't be so damn worried about what color somebody is, as they will be looking at what's inside the person, not the outside.
I find the right has grown as bad as the Left of actively searching for a minority candidate for the sake of something...what? Pandering to convince ourselves of our own righteousness? Open-mindedness? Piety?

Ben Carson is a smart man, apparently a good man, a man to be admired for his life story and success. I've known of him years before he became a household name. I would have no problem with him in a position of authority if elected. And Ben Carson seems, and I add seems, to be the antithesis of Barack Obama in that he has a spiritual sense of honesty and truth, not believing in his own greatness.

However, Ben Carson is certainly no more qualified, in fact less so, than my own Senator, Doctor Tom Coburn. And I didn't see the Republican Establishment/Christian establishment genuflecting to Dr. Tom as special snowflake upon arrival. Or can I even say that because of a possible color connotation?

I am so tired of the politically correct jargon and walking on eggshells - and this fawning and groveling is sheer political and race hustling of a different flavor, tasting even worse to me when one of my own practices it.

I heard a commercial today about a new show. A white wife, an "African-American" husband, and a "bi-racial" child. Gag...

I am most grateful to Pirategirl for having the guts what most whites only dare whisper...Let's cut out the pretentiousness and leave the moral preening to the Left. I'm tired of color defining people...and providing unmerited privilege.

I didn't read Pirategirl's post as offensive in the least and I'll be damned if somebody is going to get away with calling her racist for saying what is most obvious to those of actually seeking journalistic honesty.
(show less)
You and suftunderbelly are as bad as the lefties. What precisely was "racist" about PirateGirl's post? She did not say that "minorities" were inherently inferior "ruler(s)". That would be racist or supremacist. She didn't say minorities have no right to rule. That too would be racist or supremacist. She didn't say that only whites, or members of the majority race, should rule; that would also be racist or supremacist.

She said she wasn't willing to accept that we have to be ruled by minorities from now on. Here she expresses, though a bit inartfully, a believe many of us hold. The left has done a thorough job of delegitimizing white or majority, we are still the majority, culture. They have posited that whites, and especially white males don't have the right to govern because of our past "sins." What did the Republicans do when the Democrats and their looters and moochers elected a "cool black dude?" We went out and got our own cool black dude to head the Republican Party. He made a mess of things just like their cool black dude has, but since he was a Republican and we're all racists we could remove him without rioting in the streets.

Carson is a smart, thoughtful guy, but he is a babe in the woods when it comes to government. Unless he surrounded himself with some very smart, totally ruthless operatives, something the Republican Party hasn't produced in a very long time, the vipers' nest that is the federal bureaucracy would eat Carson's lunch and send him the tab.

Carson has a much better intellectual and professional background than Obama, but he has even less experience with government than candidate Obama had. We don't as conservatives or Republicans need to find a minority or female candidate to put up just to show the damned lefties we're not racists. I'm tired of the word when they use it and I'm REALLY tired of stupid self-styled conservatives or Republicans using it; it is a trap they've set. It was their shield and buckler to thwart any criticism of their Manchurian Candidate, Comrade Obama.

You're right, we do need a leader. By leader, I mean someone who has demonstrated that they can actually lead a large organization, preferably a large governmental organization because private sector values and skills don't translate readily into the public sector. Perhaps someone who came out of the private sector and at some point became an elected or appointed official in the executive branch of a large government - emphasis on the large. That was Sarah Palin's big liability; she'd only "run" a government about the size of a suburban real estate office and she had city manager to do the detail work. She made an utter mess of running the State of Alaska and we can be thankful she didn't get to bring those "skills" to the federal government. But, again, you are right; we need a leader. Let's go find and nominate someone who has actually led something, not someone who is merely famous.
Sorry, Carson is nice - too nice to survive.
He does a wonderful job in reminding Americans that not all Blacks are prejudiced illegal immigrants who have a deep drive to destroy America, who abuse their position and its benefits, who lie constantly, who ram their policies down Americans' throats, and are avowed communists.

Perhaps Ben Carson for Attorney General !
What a novel idea: actually electing somebody who tells the truth! But, I guess you are right. We should all just go along to get along and let the disease of corruption in both parties continue, and nothing will ever get better. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember some people saying the same thing about Reagan being too naive to get elected. Here's a novel idea: let's get a doctor to treat the disease (CORRUPTION), rather than the symptoms. Oh wait, he is a doctor!
The question is, if Carson were to run, how much of an effort would the left-wing sleaze balls make to destroy his good name. Would he even stand a chance? Remember that the defining moment of the 2008 Democratic primaries came when Bill and Hillary both suddenly shut their mouths and ceased their public critiques of Obama, such as Bill's fairy tale comment. The key to winning any election in this country is to have the support of the elites who can silence people so effectively, and to get that, you have to support their agenda, and bow down to them. America lost any pretense of a genuine electoral process decades ago. Carson would be portrayed as a fringe candidate and they would fixate upon any little thing he did that was questionable and define him based on that one event, like Romney and his Seamus the Dog episode. Still I think it would be a useful indicator and clear reminder of where we are at as a society, based on the public treatment and perception of Dr. Carson. He's a role model, and he does seem very well informed about history and correct political principles, he seems fearless (the prayer breakfast was immortal in my opinion), and he's polite and respectful. I do agree that he's a bit naive, as he would have to fire about a million people in Washington to actually get anything done, but if he's willing to try, give the man a shot.
It's quite possible to say, since the close of WWII, with Harry Truman (who hadn't the slightest gift for gab, let alone US Presidency) America has been poorly served with, good, quality, honest and gifted Presidents. Even Ronald Reagan, with Iran-Contra, Noriega, Contras, Et al was a can of worms no President would wish upon himself. From then on, it is safe to say, Progressive New Left Activists have ever so slowly imposed their "Party Line" upon the American People (NEA, Dept. Educ.., EPA, and-on-and-on). Back then, We The People had the McCarthy hearings, then a full blown Democratic Socialist's of America (a shadow communist group) right amongst our US House of Representative lawmakers sprouted up like a weed. This gave us Roe vs. Wade, and a series of US Constitution weakening legal reviews adding to deterioration and erosion of all American MORAL and RELIGIOUS fiber. Enter 2014. A massively crooked Presidency, a gigantic, international criminal enterprise the size and scope yet unheard of in all US history is covering every American's "Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness."
Americans are realizing this total leftward shift in everything American has led to a total usurpation of everything American: Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights AND all Federalist Papers. Dr. Ben Carson, in his book, is merely pointing out the obvious...this leftward shift. He is leaving the future course of actions Americans take, up to Americans...not to a bunch of crafty, poetical wonks in some Central Command hidden in the bowels of a Command and Control political organization. His is a call to HALT THIS TRAJECTORY. He, as President, will insure this reversal is effected. That's his message. Change on this magnitude, of some 100 years or so, cannot in one Presidential term (or two) occur. "Mr. "Hope & Change" has discovered this fact already. And his mentor Dr. Roberto Unger, advised Mr. Obama of this peril. Pray. Amen. Dr. Ben Carson is on the right path. Continue the good work. We The People need clarity and guidance at this juncture. God Bless America. Join a Local Tea Party. And vote.
I like Ben Carson but I'm not sure he's the best candidate because of his lack of political experience. The biggest problem is that, when it comes down to choosing, the Democrats/lefties will vote for any non-Republican with a pulse and Republicans/conservatives will think twice about voting for anyone who doesn't walk on water. Any one of the potential GOP candidates would be 1,000 times better than Hillary but, as in 2012, that won't keep a lot of good people from staying home because her opponent is less than perfect.
"I wondered if Ben Carson is just too nice and too naive for politics."
======================

There's the real problem - it isn't that Carson is 'just too nice' -- its that today's players in politics are very mean & nasty people. Just ask Mitt Romney.

With enough melanin in one's skin one can be elected king of the United States these days, even if you are a mediocre lawyer with a community organizing background and nothing else.

But to be a neurosurgeon you have to study a lot and get a degree and then a license. They don't give that away as equal opportunity awards for top melanin carriers.

Dr Carson is obviously gifted with a good brain and good judgment. He's got my vote any day regardless of the color of his skin. The content of his character is reason enough for me to give him my full support. I pray he runs and I pray the GOP leadership starts incorporating more people like him instead of the current crew.

(show less)
wonder how the media will crucify this black man, and if the black community will allow it.

Oh course they will be the first to get on the band wagon to pillory this man because he is black CONSERVATIVE, and he accomplished greatness by education and desire.

But then we do have the spectacle of a black congressman calling Clarence Thomas an UNCLE TOM and saying it isn't racist, because it is the truth--truth being his opinion, because this justice is more concerned about the law, and justice being blind than having a skin colored agenda
The man loves gun control.

Just say no. Early and often. OK?
He's seen the results. Lay OFF or better yet, go shoot yourself.
As Carson has seen in the ER, when seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
I Googled and found this:

Most of the “deal breaker” response is based on his response when Glenn Beck asked if ownership of semi-automatic weapons should be permitted. Carson replied, “It depends on where you live. I think if you life in the midst of a lot of people, and I’m afraid that that semi-automatic weapon is going to fall into the hands of a crazy person, I would rather you not have it.” SNIP

Could yiou provide a link proving that he's for gun control period?
The quote you just provided does that quite nicely.
Yep. He clearly does not understand the issue. Not even a little bit.

Too bad - he's great in other ways.

In my opinion, it indicates an ignorance of firearms in general. He was talking about one kind of firearm in one kind of environment. He did not say that he wants to grab everyone's guns.

I admire and respect the doctor, but I don't think he'd make a good president at this time because, among other reasons, he doesn't have the experience of governing.
"In my opinion, it indicates an ignorance of firearms in general."

That's probably true, but alas, it indicates something more. It indicates an ignorance of the fundamental issues.

Worse, it indicates that he does not understand the nature of the war.

That's a fatal error.

Playing devil's advocate here in saying that the FF envisioned a gov't run by people with experiences in other realms coming to Washington to be public servants for a short time, then going back home to do what they did before. I wonder sometimes if we'd be better off going back to that approach.

I firmly believe that one thing that accounts for the mess we're in right now is the fact that way too many seats of power in our gov't are occupied by lawyers. Need anything more be said?
Then all we need to do is get an amendment passed that anyone that has or had a law degree shall be disqualified for national office. But of course the lawyer will always find a loophole.

The thing is, a lot--if not most--of our legislation, rules and regulations were written by attorneys, and it sometimes takes one to figure out just what in the world it all means.

I'd love to see a law passed that required all laws be written so that the average high school graduate can understand it.
I am not sure they understand their own legalese to the point that they could put it all in simpler language. lol
You are correct. Check the Washington Times article by Ben Carson...he does not seem to understand the difference between a right and a privilege.

In addition, although he has a great life story, was a successful surgeon, and I am sure is a wonderful person, these things do not qualify a person to be President. Most of his articles are unoriginal and merely express the sentiments that most of us already feel. He would not get my vote for President.
Who is electable? Obama was demonstrably electable, twice -abiti unvetted. Hillary is deemed electable because she was once first lady -twice; she already knows her way around the WH! The question is, I think: who can survive the savage media assault that awaits a conservative candidate. Romney's weaknesses were his whiteness, his wealth; and anything in his background, from the moment he was born, was fair game where the media was concerned. That is the hurdle to get over, the needle to be threaded for a conservative candidate. How about we start with NOT Jeb Bush and proceed from there. Pick a candidate; Dr. Carson and devise a plan to handle the psycho-left leaning media. Start today. Oh, and for the love of god, we need to get rid of Boehner.
1 2 Next View All