The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

February 20, 2014 - 6:36 am

Here’s your feel-good Second Amendment story of the day, from WXYZ-TV.

A Detroit family is resting easier today after three armed thugs failed in their attempt to break into the family’s home while the mother and her two young children were inside. The family’s security camera captured the drama.

The video shows that the three young men broke through the front door, and one of them was armed. The mom had grabbed her rifle:

detroit-mom-rifle

And she fired at the intruders. She did not hit them.

The three fled, but the one carrying a pistol came back in. The mom fired again and he fled.

All three were arrested later. The mom and her children were unharmed, an outcome that would not have been very likely had she not been armed and knew how to operate her rifle.

h/t Capitol City Project

It makes a difference if the story gets the facts straight, Bryan didn't. Using the term "assault rifle", whether in quotes or not, plays into the hands of the anti-Second Amendment crowd.

besides I don't post here to win a popularity contest, Do you?
Darn shame that she missed.
Is it possible that I stuck the term in quotes to render it ironically? To connect it with something positive? Nah, I'm just repeating the mistakes of the mindless MSM...
Thing that caught my eye was the one punk who fell back, thought about it (or at least swirled the mush that is his brain around a little bit), and then girded his loins, picked up his own cap-shooter and marched determinedly back into the house for another round at the person shooting at him. Either he knows something I don't know, or some military recruitment person really needs to track him down and sign him up for some death-defying assignment ... like suicide bomber into Iran.

BTW, has there been any further information on who these three fine young men might be, and what their background and/or ethnicity is?
There is a difference between courage and stupidity.

Sometimes, they can look very similar.

Sounds like the sort of racist assault on America's black youth that some monster at Salon.com was complaining about--racist violence that she thinks justifies more black-on-white violence.
Is there anything in America more contemptible than a white liberal?
Looks like a Hi Point 4095 carbine, runs around $350 at Cabella's.
That's what I think. It has none of the features of an an "assault rifle" except the pistol grip. It shoots a small 9mm pistol bullet and only holds 10 of them. Most pistols have more power. It is a decent gun, though, for what it is.
Hi-Point carbines are available in 9mm, .40, and .45 cal. You might also remember that a 16" carbine barrel creates a higher muzzle velocity than a 3"-6" pistol barrel.
"Most pistols"??

Many, certainly. But with the 9mm being one of the most popular calibers out there, I think it's pretty difficult to say, "most" have more power.

We should not refer to this rifle as an "assault rifle" or "assault weapon" when in the hands of a good person (a person acting in self-defense), because in that mode the rifle is a defense weapon. This weapon would have been an assault rifle in the hands of these home invaders. A bad person acting in aggression against another person (not in self-defense) makes any weapon an "assault weapon;" the same weapon in the hands of a good person is a defense weapon - same weapon - different pearson. To rephrase a common idea (not directed at David IV): It's the person, stupid.

I'm sure she's happier that she didn't off any of them. Aftermath for the survivors is never easy, regardless of the breathless exclamations of the massive johnson haulers wandering these parts.
Impugning the size of of someone's genitals is a classic tactic of the lumpen left. You, jsallison, are a troll and a depraved slimeball. I hope someday you need to be protected but the only armed neighbor is one who is tired of being insulted and demonized by you.
Sympathy for evil is tantamount to lack of sympathy for the good. You either haven't considered the aftermath of the non-survivor victim of evil, or don't care.

The only Johnson I see around here is.......

YOU!
Trust me - I wouldn't have lost a night's sleep or a meal. I would've slept soundly knowing I'd made my city just that much safer and given out a message to mindless thugs. People who go out of their way to assault people are a deer in the headlights - and I got a tank with no brakes.
She missed several times. Where did the stray rounds go?

Hmmm... "well-ordered militia" - would this include those who decide to "bear arms" having to train with them?
Just nit-picking...but it's "well regulated." Not "well ordered".
Point taken. But two things about that: 1. It doesn't affect the argument. 2. There is no particular reason why I should be expected to memorise the US Constitution or any part of it, because it isn't my Constitution; I'm a loyal subject of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

Which doesn't necessarily mean that I'm loyal to the shower of public school upper-class twits who currently run the UK on her behalf, or that I'll be particularly loyal to the tree-hugging Luddite idiot who will succeed her.
Howdy Fletch
How are the breadfruits today?
You have a valid point. Expended rounds land someplace; better in the wall than the perp, better in the perp than in a bystander. Even well-trained shooters have a hard time when they are facing the round end of someone else's gun.
Anyone who keeps a gun should certainly train to be confident and comfortable with it, though never complacent. My sweetheart dislikes shooting and she doesn't handle any of my guns. My daughter has fired a revolver but doesn't like it. My son and I are both trained and practice.
I saw several comments of a kind we see often: too bad she didn't kill the perps. Well, actually, I'm glad she didn't. If it had to be done, yes, and the description shows she'd have been justified if she had. Better their corpses than hers, better them being treated for leg wounds than her being treated. But it's best if there's no need to shoot at all, or if the rounds hit inanimate items and scare the intruders off.
That's not how to shoot, incidentally. You "aim small to miss small."
I was taught two basic principles: Only aim a weapon at something (or someone) that you intend to shoot, and, if threatened, you DO NOT shoot to warn, or to wound, you shoot to STOP THE THREAT. Aim at center mass, or just slightly below that point. Shoot until the threat is eliminated. That means the attacker is immobilized, surrenders, or runs away. It doesn't mean that you have to kill them, though that IS a possible result, when you use lethal force.
Detroit Police respond to the average call in about an hour. It's like not having a police force at all and the criminals know it.
She needs some more time at the range. They wouldn't have walked away from my house.
I love it when a plan.... falls apart.

For the right people, of course. :D

Now we need to take up a collection to get this gal some serious defensive firearms training. Hmmmm... When is John Farnam going to be in the area next?

Mom has to go to the range often and do some combat training. The meat from dead assailants can be used to feed the trained attack dogs. If any of the creeps survive just force them to strip and stand in the freezing cold. The police can be called once the bastard is stiff. Charge him with indecent exposure.
It's too bad she didn't kill all three and then the city council put their heads on the gated community's wall that doesn't exist cuz gated communities are racist. If I lived in Detroit I'd have a frickin' moat. In New Orleans homes are shuttered up with metal doors and even bullet proof windows if you can believe that, though the latter is uncommon.
1 2 Next View All