The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

February 2, 2014 - 11:36 am

Academy Award winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in an apartment in New York. He was 46.

His portrayal of writer Truman Capote in the 2005 film Capote won him numerous awards for best actor, including the Oscar. He also received three Tony nominations for his work in theater.

Fox News:

Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead of an apparent drug overdose at a Manhattan apartment, a law enforcement source told FoxNews.com.

The NYPD responded to an apartment in the West Village shortly after 11 a.m. Sunday morning, the source said.

“The Hunger Games” actor has amassed an impressive portfolio of roles going back to the early 1990s, when he first appeared on the hit, New York City-based show, “Law & Order.”

He has since gone on to appear in notable movies like “Scent of a Woman,” “Boogie Nights,” “The Big Lebowski,” “Almost Famous,” “Capote,” “Mission Impossible III,” and “Moneyball.”

Hoffman, 46, has been nominated for four roles for an Academy Award, winning a single time for his portrayal of journalist Truman Capote, author of, “In Cold Blood.”

Hoffman was filming the third installment in the immensely popular Hunger Games trilogy, in which he plays the character Plutarch Heavensbee.

The New York Post is reporting that Hoffman was found in the bathroom with a needle in his arm. He had struggled with drug addiction early in his career and then had a relapse last May.

Hoffman was a hugely talented actor, whose repertoire of characters was astonishing. Stone-cold killer (Law and Order episode), goofy kid (Twister), wisecracking CIA agent (Charlie Wilson’s War), and an immoral preacher (Cold Mountain). Good guys, bad guys, crazy guys, gay, straight — Hoffman played them all and played them with an eye for nuance and depth.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

A magnificent actor, one of the very best out there. Head-and-shoulders above most of his contemporaries. He was so vivid onscreen, so impeccably human; I always enjoyed the film a little more one he was introduced. A character actor who rose to the lead on talent. RIP PSH, you will be missed.
Stupid.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Maybe that's why he was such a good Capote since Truman did more or less the same thing, just took longer and did it in public.

I hate the waste. Why can't some waste of oxygen like Assad be found with a needle in his arm?
How unheroic. While reading about this senseless death I am reminded of watching Randy Pausch spend a year dying with the kind of grace and dignity a real man leaves as an ultimate last gift to his children upon his death. This latest news of Phillip Seymour Hoffman's death sickens me.
"Flawless," with Robert De Niro. Hoffman played a drag queen to perfection. It was a great little movie.
He chose drugs over his three young kids. What a heartless idiot.
I never understood how heroin came back. A pointless, stupid shame. RIP.
By choice, that's how.
Very sad, and depressing. He had decades of great performances left in him. More important, I believe he left behind a wife and kid?
So sad, so sad...another reckless artist playing with a world for which he knew very little about....biochemistry.
Greetings:

Growing up in the Bronx of the '50s and '60s led to some up close but not personal experiences with heroin addiction.

The first was one Saturday morning when my father and I were driving through Harlem to go boating with one of his work buddies. Stopped at a red light, I saw a Negro man on the corner sitting on an imaginary chair, largely disheveled, in a pair of well-soiled khakis. That, my father explained, was what heroin would do to you. He referred to it as "nodding".

The next significant experience was a passing basketball acquaintance with a heroin addict who was kind enough to explain to me that he "didn't have a drug problem", he had "a money problem" because if he "had the money he could find the drugs".

Next on my list of heroin hits was the addict who, when told of another addict's overdose death, inquired, "Where did he cop?" not wanting to miss the opportunity to get some more powerful than usual drugs.

Finally, there was the overall contribution of heroin addicts and their supply chain in the destruction of large swaths of the Bronx, a kind of Dresden-lite treatment if you like, during the "60s and '70s.

Stupid.

Stupid stupid stupid.

He was absolutely brilliant in "Charlie Wilson's War." What a shame. May God rest his soul.
He was brilliant in a lot of his films. I'm sad he's gone. Sadder for his family.
I have no doubt. That's just the only one of his performances I ever saw.
Actually, it's likely you saw him in lots of films. . . I frequently go back and watch an old movie I haven't seen in 15 years or so, and there he'll be! He disappeared so well into his characters, that you didn't even see the actor playing the part. He did that in SO many movies. It's a shame he's gone.
You're absolutely right, Dogula, and I've just been realizing that as I read these various catalogs of his performances.

One Trackback to “Breaking: Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies”