The PJ Tatler

Rick Moran

December 8, 2013 - 12:30 pm

Speaking in Detroit on Friday night, Senator Rand Paul responded to a question from the audience about whether he’d run for president in 2016. Paul said that, at the moment, his wife was opposed to the idea.

“Where’s my cell phone? Can I call my wife?” Paul joked. “There’s two votes in my family. My wife has both of them and both of them are ‘no’ votes right now.”

“If I’m a very able politician, I’ll tell you in a year whether I’m able to persuade my wife. Right now, I don’t know yet, but I thank you for your interest,” he said.

Mrs. Paul, a former political consultant who has been married to the senator for 23 years, told Vogue magazine earlier this year what troubled her about Rand running for president:

“In this day and age it’s mostly about character assassination,” she said. “When I think of the tens of millions of dollars in opposition research that they’d be aiming right at us and our family – that’s what it’s about.”

This is not an uncommon attitude that spouses have about their husbands running for president. Even the most political of wives fear being ground down by a process that demands so much from the candidate and his family.

But as Paul says, he’s got a year to convince her otherwise.

Paul was in Detroit pushing an innovative plan to rescue distressed cities — a resurrection of Jack Kemp’s old “enterprise zones” idea:

“Detroit’s future will not come from Washington. The magic of Motown is here in the city,” he told nearly 400 people at the Motor City Casino in Detroit.

Paul proposed a wide-ranging plan to revitalize the nation’s cities through the creation of “economic freedom zones.” His plan would cut federal taxes in communities that have an unemployment rate of 12% or more.

Federal personal and corporate taxes would be lowered to 5%, and the federal payroll tax would be cut to 2% each for employees and employers.

“Inside these zones, we’ll suspend the capital gains tax and allow small businesses to deduct most of what they invest,” he said.

The plan would save Detroit $1.3 billion over the next 10 years, Paul said.

The tax breaks themselves aren’t much considering Detroit’s dire straits. But Paul is counting on a change in the psychology of the city which would lead to a flood of private investment and risk taking. It’s an untested concept, but if you need an urban laboratory, you won’t find a better place than Detroit. Any help at this point should be welcome.

Rick Moran is PJ Media's Chicago editor and Blog editor at The American Thinker. He is also host of the"RINO Hour of Power" on Blog Talk Radio. His own blog is Right Wing Nut House.

my classmate's mother makes $89/hr on the laptop. She has been laid off for 8 months but last month her paycheck was $12657 just working on the laptop for a few hours. read the article,,,,,,,http://www.jobs59.com
I'm with Mrs Paul; I don't want him to run, either.
When a Republican or independent runs for an important office, the Propaganda Machine shifts into overdrive to try to find any skeleton, from spouse to children to grammar school locker partner...to slander away a fair election.

When a leftist candidate runs, the Propaganda Machine hides every skeleton it can find, to the extent that even a medical school couldn't find one with a search party or a posse.

What a waste. It's all so unnecessary. No leftist candidate has ever been found with a backbone throughout history anyway.
Agreeing with LONGSTREET in every particular; I'm pretty sure that Mrs. Paul's concerns are not limited to:

>>>“In this day and age it’s mostly about character assassination,” she said.<<<

Look and who we are governed by, and what has happened to the rule of law, and tell me with a straight face that actual assassination by Obama's supporters is not a distinct possibility.

Subotai Bahadur
I wish we had a decent edit function, because my typos need all the opportunities for correction they can get.

>>>Look AT who we are governed by<<<

Subotai Bahadur
Obama is a certifiable sociopath. Click on Antisocial Personality Disorder for confirmantion. He is a clear and present danger to the USA and should be institutionalized in an asylum for the criminally insane.His supporters should find homes in soviet gulags , somali slums, or abandoned outhouses; so they can be with their own kind.
MRG01 sounds good! Lenitatdehoyo can go to Hell with Usbodleacter and other irrelevant anal apertures.
But, if he is serious about letting his wife decide about a presidential run, he is obviously not qualified to be president. We don't need some sissy who lets his wife make decisions for him. Why not just eliminate the middleman and elect the wife?Apparently she has bigger balls than he.
A plan like this would only be minimally effective if at all. It panders to the local political climate, represents just another hand-out and will suck capital and resources from adjacent areas that don't get these preferences. Where is the fairness or the value in this? You will still have a big-government, entitlement-oriented society with all of the low productivity, waste and fraud that it has now.

Go through bankruptcy and reset everything including pensions. Shut down the public service unions, make closed shops illegal, slash the number of regulations that are choking business creation, do not hire a single new government employee - let it wind down through attrition, retirement and other natural means. It may take a while to get all the way back - but I think you would see positive changes immediately.
Too bad Hilliary doesn't have a wife to nix her campaign.....Oh wait! Maybe she does....?
I wish it were true, but this seems to me to be a typical politican/entertainer trick ... sort of like clapping to bring Tinkerbell back to life.
Nominating a Senator in general is not a good idea- and he is a perfect example of the reason why. His economic freedom zones for Detroit is about as hair-brained as it gets. He's off looking pursuing unicorns while Rome burns.
Senator, Schmenator.

I don't care about his executive experience, or the lack thereof.

I care about his CHARACTER and his PRINCIPLES.

Paul isn't horribly bad on either front, when compared with our last two nominees, and most of the rest of the D.C. crowd, but there are better choices.

I'd prefer he stay in the Senate.
1 2 Next View All

One Trackback to “Rand Paul’s Wife Doesn’t Want Him to Run for President”