The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

November 20, 2013 - 7:37 am

Story number one: Cop arrests man for picking up his own children at school on foot, via BoingBoing.

Here’s a video of a Cumberland County, Tennessee school safety officer illegally arresting a parent who disagreed with the school’s policy on picking up kids. The policy had recently changed, creating a long traffic jam, so the soon-to-be-arrested man walked to the school to get his kids.

The school safety officer was reportedly upset because the parent had called the local sheriff to complain about the school’s new pickup policy and the long waits, and what followed was an argument in which the reasonable, quiet-spoken and polite parent was arrested for “disorderly conduct” by the school safety officer, who put him in cuffs and then into the back of a cruiser without advising him of his rights or enumerating the charge against him.

Presumably the officer was trying to help the local school board get rid of excess cash on its books by creating enormous, pointless liabilities for it.

Story number two: Mom sends kids to school with wholesome lunch. School adds Ritz crackers, and fines the mom, via Gawker.

A mom who thought she was properly parenting by sending her two young kids to school with a homemade, whole-food lunch was shocked to find a penalty note from school officials informing her that the lunch of roast beef, potatoes, carrots, oranges and milk she provided was “unbalanced” and therefore had to be supplemented with Ritz crackers.

She was also fined $10.

According to Weighty Matters, the Manitoba Government’s Early Learning and Child Care department blindly follows a policy which requires lunches to be “balanced” according to “Canada’s awful Food Guide.”

Unbalanced lunches are subject to supplementation and a fine of CDN$5 (US$4.80) per “missing item” per child.

In Kristen Bartkiw’s case, she “neglected” to include “grains” with Natalie and Logan’s packed lunches — a “dereliction” that was “corrected” through the “supplementation” of Ritz crackers.

Now, one might think, but that’s Canada. Not the US. Can’t happen here.

Well, other than the fine, it has already happened here. The USDA has enough time on its hands to inspect individual school lunches and then replace what it deems inappropriate.

Give the Kids a Ritz
---apologies to Irving Berlin and "Puttin' on the Ritz"

Have you seen what the staff did
With their group of daycare kids?
Their panties got in a bunch
Over what kids brought for lunch!
They found roast beef and carrots
To have insufficient merit
And instead complained
'Cause there wasn't a grain!

If you're sending your kids over
To daycare in Manitoba
Avoid staff fits
Have kids bring a Ritz!
Don't you even think to try for
Any other source of fiber
They'll insist
Have kids bring a Ritz!
Lest children become fat or distended
They'll stick to what government recommended
And defend it
So be forewarned when you pack lunches
Never follow your own hunches
When choosing bits---
Give the kids a Ritz!
Please explain to me why (when we have our own problems with a short circuited president) we give a damn what they are doing in Canada???
A little local information though. The child industry (education and whomever else in this category) are starving our kids. But still Canada? Who gives?
The more heavy handed the schools become the greater the number of parents decide to home school. So be it.
WTF? Why are these ignorami treating "grains" as some kind of set-in-stone nutritional requirement at every meal? I put on over 20 pounds during the years I fruitlessly spent "eating healthy"; finally, desperate to avoid statin drugs and other "help" from my doctor, thought, "Well, Instapundit recommends a low-carb diet and he knows everything!" I took off the whole 20+ in nine months, mostly by reducing grain intake. Thank you, Prof. Reynolds; %#@& you, education bureaucrats of the Northern Hemisphere.
I think most of the anti-grain hysteria is risible, but that school lunch Gestapo is very lucky neither of those children had celiac disease.
As I posted on another site my wife and I used to do a lot of volunteer work. As long as the other volunteers and the paid staff were decent and polite it was very rewarding. We stopped several years ago just because of all the petty tyrants and tantrum throwers we encountered. If I'm going to deal with rude, incompetent people I'll get paid for it, thank you very much.
Gee, it almost like they want to teach us to submit. Nah couldn't be that.
I have to tell you, I read the story about the man in Tennessee last night on TheBlaze. I was FUMING for hours.

Had I been the father in this situation, that cop would have been badly beaten or dead. I can't imagine someone standing between me and my children and me submissively detained. It simply can't happen. Just thinking about it now has me furious.

Listen, if I'm going to be arrested for being disorderly, then I will EARN that charge. I swear to God I will earn it. That cop is lucky to be sucking air into his fat face today.
"Unbalanced"? Whoever created that term to relate to a child's lunch is a pompous ass.