The PJ Tatler

Stephen Kruiser

October 28, 2013 - 6:52 pm

Is there a creature in discovered space more close-minded than a self-conscious liberal?

It’s good (bad?) to know that “liberal” isn’t just a horrible misnomer on this side of the pond. The always fun to read Hannan is talking about British politics and media here but it is fairly simple to find the parallels. This one struck me the most:

None of this would matter if Mr Portes were not regularly trotted out, especially by the BBC, as representing some sort of neutral position. I’ve remarked before on how the most effective bias often comes in how studio guests are introduced: “Joining us now are Mr Blue, a Right-wing controversialist, and Mr Red, a distinguished academic…”

This is an ongoing problem in the MSM here as well. Conservatives are always described as such while liberals and progressives are just plain folk.

Stephen Kruiser is a professional comedian and writer who has also been a conservative political activist for over two decades. A co-founder of the first Los Angeles Tea Party, Kruiser often speaks to grassroots groups around America and has had the great honor of traveling around the world entertaining U.S. troops.

I'm fine with leaving off the 'liberal' label - just introduce them as 'knee-jerks.'

"Please welcome our guest, knee-jerk Paul Krugman."
How about if we forget the word 'knee'?
>"I've remarked before on how the most effective bias often comes in how studio guests are introduced: "Joining us now are Mr Blue, a Right-wing controversialist, and Mr Red, a distinguished academic…"

Reminds me of a talk show, I think it was Aaron Brown's, where his guests were Richard Cohen and Shelby Steele. Brown introduced Cohen as "nationally syndicated columnist for the Washington Post" or something to that effect, and Steele as a "conservative academic".

Steele wasn't having any. He asked the moderator, would you call Cohen a liberal?

The moderator said, yes, well, I suppose I would. Cohen demurred, "On some issues."

Then the moderator peevishly added, well, I guess we're all labeled now.

Steele's response was, like Steele himself, brilliant: if I'm going to be labeled, we're all going to be labeled.
Your avatar struck close to home. I'm a reformed trombonist too. I played a Conn 88H and a King 4B, which is still in the basement. J. J. Johnson is God!
"Liberal" is a good example of semantic infiltration - back when the left appropriated the name, in the 1880s, they were called, appropriately, reactionaries.
Ah, yes the BBC.

Taxpayer subsidized protection racket plagued by nepotism, bullyism, backroom payments and famously known for hiring paedophiles (btw, to the date it is 2 years since St Johnny Saville died, won't BBC do an eulogy?...), squandering hundreds of millions of taxpayer dime on projects that never saw the light of day and of course, lavish parties ending in alcohol/drug abuse and sexual orgies in their own studios.

Nice chaps, all of them.
Well, perhaps Conservatives should negotiate ahead of time exactly how they are to be introduced.