The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

June 4, 2013 - 7:00 am

On one hand, we have school officials who freak out over a quarter-sized plastic toy gun. On the other hand, we have school officials who freak out and punish kids who stand up to bullies. On both hands, we have idiots who are destroying kids. This incident happened in Canada, but could have happened in Maryland or Massachusetts or nearly anywhere school officials have gone bonkers.

Briar MacLean was sitting in class during a study period Tuesday, the teacher was on the other side of the room and, as Grade 7 bullies are wont to do, one kid started harassing another.

“I was in between two desks and he was poking and prodding the guy,” Briar, 13, said at the kitchen table of his Calgary home Friday.

“He put him in a headlock, and I saw that.”

He added he didn’t see the knife, but “I heard the flick, and I heard them say there was a knife.”

Most kids probably wouldn’t intervene. Briar acted courageously, and did. He pushed the bully away and may have saved the other kid’s life.

No good deed goes unpunished, in today’s schoolhouse.

“I got called to the office and I wasn’t able to leave until the end of the day,” he said.

That’s when Leah O’Donnell, Briar’s mother, received a call from the vice-principal.

“They phoned me and said, ‘Briar was involved in an incident today,’” she said. “That he decided to ‘play hero’ and jump in.”

Ms. O’Donnell was politely informed the school did not “condone heroics,” she said. Instead, Briar should have found a teacher to handle the situation.

“I asked: ‘In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid’s throat have been slit?’ She said yes, but that’s beside the point. That we ‘don’t condone heroics in this school.’ ”

What an apt way to say it…

The school called the police on Briar, and his locker was searched.

For doing the right thing.

Suspended? Wielding a knife with a show of malice is aggravated assault. He should have been arrested!
A school reprimand cannot squash the spirit of heroics in a kid who is determined to do the right thing.
This can all be done away with by only 2 words. Home. School.
And this is why things like the recent beheading in England happen. Honest citizens know that if they intervene three things might happen:

1) They'll get hurt or killed and the criminal will face charges that mean nothing to them.

2) The police will arrest the citizen and hit them with charges and penalties, not to mention ruinous courts costs, the citizen certainly will care about.

3) The criminal or their family might sue for any injuries, real or imagined, and stand a good chance of winning, causing more worry and costs the citizen will care about.

So, why citizens stand by the the psychopaths amongst us get bolder and bolder.
"So, why citizens stand by the the psychopaths amongst us get bolder and bolder. "

I think that "why" should be a "while"....
"So, this is why.."

I'm running an old ergonomic keyboard through an adapter since this new computer didn't have a suitable plug for it. Now and then the adapter resets, which takes about a second, and I lose keystrokes. Usually I catch it but sometimes not.
I didn't mean to be critical; I was just making my best guess about what you meant in case anyone else was puzzled about what you were saying.

I'm surprised to hear that the adapter "resets". That's just weird. I can't think of how an adapter COULD reset. It's just a physical connection in the circuit and has no switching capabilities. But maybe this is a more exotic adapter than the ones I've seen.

For what it's worth, I agree with your points. I think lawsuits and/or criminal charges are more likely for the innocent bystander who intervenes than the criminal.
He's definitely very brave for tackling somebody with a knife, I hope that I will man up and do the same if I find myself in a similar situation. I do wonder if what the school means by 'we don't condone heroics' is really 'we don't want any liability issues'.
Don't wonder -- that is exactly what it means.
No word on what happened to the bully? What kind of reporting is this?
This page is commentary, not reporting. The original story is linked, and had you clicked through:

"Ms. O’Donnell said the bully had since been suspended."
Unfortunately, Canada is far closer in sentiments to today's Democrats than to today's Tea Party. I know, I live here.

Let me tell you about an incident that happened here last year. A 4 year old girl in a pre-kindergarten class drew a picture and was asked by the teacher to describe it. The little girl explained that it was a picture of her daddy and the gun he used to shoot the monsters. The teacher immediately notified the principal and the child welfare people and police were called. The child welfare people called in the mother and the girl's siblings and prepared to take the little girl and her siblings away from the parents for fear that they were living in a dangerous environment because of the presence of a gun. (Gun control is considerably stricter here than in the US.) The police detained the father and did a cavity search. Then they searched the family home and found the gun. As you might be anticipating, it was NOT a real gun. In fact, it was a $20 toy that was used to fire popcorn, which they apparently did as a joke within the family.

After talking with the family at some length, the police, school and child welfare people finally decided that the children weren't in danger. The police released the father and the family was allowed to return to their normal lives. The only apology offered to the family by anyone was the one the police gave to the father: they apologized for the cavity search. They recognized, after the fact, that a mere frisk would have been quite sufficient under the circumstances. That was the ONLY thing that any of the authorities felt, in retrospect, was out of line. The father was not very happy and was contemplating legal action but it's been more than a year now and I'm not sure if he ever did anything.

I didn't hear any mass public outcry about this although it's possible I just missed it. When I tell this story to my friends, many of whom didn't know about it even though it happened nearby, they shake their heads in wonder that such a thing could happen. But I suspect that if you polled people about this incident, many would say the authorities had done the right thing.

A friend who is a retired police officer seemed embarassed when I told that story. He said it was the kind of thing they had to do according to the rules they operate under just to be sure everyone was safe but I got the impression he was not happy about the necessity of doing so.

I think we're farther down the road to the Nanny State than you are in the United States. I'm not liking the view but I can't make the whole country change direction single-handedly much as I'd like to.
Thanks for sharing that story. Unfortunately we're not much further down the road from you in Canada, literally and figuratively.

The fact is, that kid was in more danger in school than at home.