The PJ Tatler

Bryan Preston

June 4, 2013 - 7:00 am

On one hand, we have school officials who freak out over a quarter-sized plastic toy gun. On the other hand, we have school officials who freak out and punish kids who stand up to bullies. On both hands, we have idiots who are destroying kids. This incident happened in Canada, but could have happened in Maryland or Massachusetts or nearly anywhere school officials have gone bonkers.

Briar MacLean was sitting in class during a study period Tuesday, the teacher was on the other side of the room and, as Grade 7 bullies are wont to do, one kid started harassing another.

“I was in between two desks and he was poking and prodding the guy,” Briar, 13, said at the kitchen table of his Calgary home Friday.

“He put him in a headlock, and I saw that.”

He added he didn’t see the knife, but “I heard the flick, and I heard them say there was a knife.”

Most kids probably wouldn’t intervene. Briar acted courageously, and did. He pushed the bully away and may have saved the other kid’s life.

No good deed goes unpunished, in today’s schoolhouse.

“I got called to the office and I wasn’t able to leave until the end of the day,” he said.

That’s when Leah O’Donnell, Briar’s mother, received a call from the vice-principal.

“They phoned me and said, ‘Briar was involved in an incident today,’” she said. “That he decided to ‘play hero’ and jump in.”

Ms. O’Donnell was politely informed the school did not “condone heroics,” she said. Instead, Briar should have found a teacher to handle the situation.

“I asked: ‘In the time it would have taken him to go get a teacher, could that kid’s throat have been slit?’ She said yes, but that’s beside the point. That we ‘don’t condone heroics in this school.’ ”

What an apt way to say it…

The school called the police on Briar, and his locker was searched.

For doing the right thing.

Suspended? Wielding a knife with a show of malice is aggravated assault. He should have been arrested!
A school reprimand cannot squash the spirit of heroics in a kid who is determined to do the right thing.
This can all be done away with by only 2 words. Home. School.
And this is why things like the recent beheading in England happen. Honest citizens know that if they intervene three things might happen:

1) They'll get hurt or killed and the criminal will face charges that mean nothing to them.

2) The police will arrest the citizen and hit them with charges and penalties, not to mention ruinous courts costs, the citizen certainly will care about.

3) The criminal or their family might sue for any injuries, real or imagined, and stand a good chance of winning, causing more worry and costs the citizen will care about.

So, why citizens stand by the the psychopaths amongst us get bolder and bolder.
"So, why citizens stand by the the psychopaths amongst us get bolder and bolder. "

I think that "why" should be a "while"....
"So, this is why.."

I'm running an old ergonomic keyboard through an adapter since this new computer didn't have a suitable plug for it. Now and then the adapter resets, which takes about a second, and I lose keystrokes. Usually I catch it but sometimes not.
I didn't mean to be critical; I was just making my best guess about what you meant in case anyone else was puzzled about what you were saying.

I'm surprised to hear that the adapter "resets". That's just weird. I can't think of how an adapter COULD reset. It's just a physical connection in the circuit and has no switching capabilities. But maybe this is a more exotic adapter than the ones I've seen.

For what it's worth, I agree with your points. I think lawsuits and/or criminal charges are more likely for the innocent bystander who intervenes than the criminal.
He's definitely very brave for tackling somebody with a knife, I hope that I will man up and do the same if I find myself in a similar situation. I do wonder if what the school means by 'we don't condone heroics' is really 'we don't want any liability issues'.
Don't wonder -- that is exactly what it means.
No word on what happened to the bully? What kind of reporting is this?