The PJ Tatler

Stephen Green

April 25, 2013 - 12:14 pm

One in five American households are on the food dole — that’s up from one in six during the Great Recession:

The most recent Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP) statistics of the number of households receiving food stamps shows that 23,087,886 households participated in January 2013 – an increase of 889,154 families from January 2012 when the number of households totaled 22,188,732.

The most recent statistics from the United States Census Bureau– from December 2012– puts the number of households in the United States at 115,310,000. If you divide 115,310,000 by 23,087,866, that equals one out of every five households now receiving food stamps.

Some recovery.

Stephen Green began blogging at VodkaPundit.com in early 2002, and has served as PJMedia's Denver editor since 2008. He's one of the hosts on PJTV, and one-third of PJTV's Trifecta team with Scott Ott and Bill Whittle. Steve lives with his wife and sons in the hills and woods of Monument, Colorado, where he enjoys the occasional lovely adult beverage.

Plus every food stamp sign-up comes with a complimentary federally-mandated voter registration application. So there's that.
As the child of two parents who grew up in dire poverty during the Great Depression, this turn of events is literally stunning to me. My mother's parents, raising a large family in Dust Bowl era Oklahoma, had the kids hunt for possum, rabbit, bullfrogs and rattlesnakes to put on the table. My father remembered going weeks on ends where dinner was cabbage soup. It would never have crossed their minds to seek food assistance from the government (nor anyone else, frankly).

While I never faced that level of privation, I certainly remember days when my daily food budget was $5-- $1 for breakfast, $1 for lunch and a princely $3 for dinner. Somehow, I survived.

Now, in perfect late-Roman style, we have the Panem, all we have to do is wait for the Circenses
Won't take the time to run your meal numbers but I will give you an example relevant to the end of Dec 2012. $12 (Dec 12) had the buying power of $1.43 in 1950. Nobody pays any attention to the inflation around them and their money. Nobody is paying any attrention to the facts of lesser income since the 80s. The wealth and income disparity gap today, is equal (-.01) to the 1920s (the highest in U.S. History).

My first paying job was $.50 cents a day NW OK 9-10 hours a day recovering fencelines from old sand drifts. I went into the Marine Corps for $78.00 a month and saved $50 a month until I got commissioned seven years later. Always thought I was a lucky rich kid and compared to many back home, who were hard working with families -- I was!
at the risk of seeming pedantic, shouldn't the Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program be SANP? perhaps supplemental nutrition assistance program (snap)

or maybe:
supplemental cookies freebees other adulterants mostly food

aka SCFoaMF
For the win.
Food stamps, the modern way to hide the bread line.
Alright! WHO TOOK MY CHEESE!!!
I've never called it a recovery. They can massage the numbers all they want, but it is still a depression. Food stamps are the modern-day soup lines.

Of course, a lot of those people on food stamps are just working the system. Many of them are families of locked-up criminals, even the criminals themselves. The hammock is getting rather crowded.
Serious question Mark. The skilled and unskilled labor force of the middle to poor class -- the majority of americas labor pool. Where would you advise them (the unemployed) to go, to get sustainable jobs with a sustainable wage? Could you move your family several states away for a minimum wage or near minimum wage job just to say you're employed? I also own several income properties and those who move from out of state or even in state, tell me it costs them on average $3,000+ to relocate and get settled in. Also, there are millions of retired elderly whose social security has been eaten up with 'real' inflation to the point of having no funds left for food and-or medications. Not everybody has has those nice company retirements and live on very measly SS income. Also, I understand food stamps work on a sliding scale so not everybody gets the maximum amount allowed by their state.

With a jobless recovery marginal as it is jobs will be at a premium with the most in service industry jobs and low pay. Likewise, emp[loyee cuts take place everyday and five of the nations largest national retailers are on death row with thousands upon thousands of employee possibly loosing their jobs in a year or so -- maybe less.
Flip the hammock over and it doubles as a snare. Once you are in it you never get out.

One Trackback to “Record Number of US Households on Food Stamps”