Whoopi Goldberg Is Wrong About Canada, Justin Bieber and the N-Word

First "rape," now this. She should really leave linguistics and semantics to the experts.

Kathy Shaidle

June 5, 2014 - 9:00 am

nword

Maybe Whoopi Goldberg should stick to parsing the nuances of the word “rape.”

The View-er is now under fire for shrugging off Justin Bieber’s use of the “n-word” in a recently surfaced old video.:

You know, Canadian words — I’m going to say the word so get ready to beat me. N—-r doesn’t mean anything in Canada.

Goldberg knows this because she “did a movie last year, in Canada.”

That’s know-nothing celebrity smugness on the level of (bad) satire.

She played a nun once, too; I look forward to Whoopi’s exegesis on Humane Vitae.

When I was a kid, once in a while some boy would call Niagara Falls “N***** Falls.” He’d be rewarded with groans. It was considered a “low class” thing to say even in my “low class” environs.

The word has always been a slur in Canada, and a particularly virulent one at that.

After all, that’s the context in which Bieber was using it. He wasn’t referring to one of his “posse” in cringe-worthy “wigger” fashion. He was joking about cutting black people up with a chainsaw.

That makes Goldberg’s defense that much more idiotic.

She’s right Canada doesn’t share America’s history of slavery, but only because God made the place too cold for cotton — something I thank God for every day, as I’m forced to listen to you guys whine and fret about race relations 24/7.

Don’t get me wrong: Canada has its own smaller-scale “original sins.”

For the most part, however, they have been exaggerated and exploited by professional victims who are jealous of the mileage American “civil rights” hustlers have gotten out of playing the race card.

(These professional victims are the same people who love to boast about how much better we are than Americans — even though Canadians are the ones who, for example, invented school shootings…)

Alas, Goldberg’s comments will be used to bolster the already-toxic anti-Americanism that is the connective tissue of the moral preen-ers on the Canadian left, some of whom are congratulating themselves on their own wonderfulness in the comments at the National Post.

You're exactly right - as you so often are - cfbleachers!

Treat people as individuals not as stereotypes and things will go a lot better for all concerned. One nasty black person doesn't mean that all black people are nasty any more than all Germans are just like Hitler. And so on for every group you care to mention.

Everyone has some things in common with others in their culture and some things that are different. Basketball may be popular among blacks but some blacks prefer chess or skeet shooting or any of the hundreds of other activities. Some blacks may live in ghettos but some live in mansions. Some blacks are religious, others are not. Some blacks love science fiction, many do not. (Whoopi Goldberg was ecstatic to be given a role in Star Trek: The Next Generation). And so on....
Whoopi Goldberg discussing Justin Bieber...on The View...what, no Kardashians available?

Lol.

Canadians can't be racists. That is reserved for white, Judeo-Christian, heterosexual, AMERICAN males.

Or something.

I personally would like to thank our docile and sweet northern neighbors for Cajun food, which I absolutely love.

Nothing like a little religious persecution of Catholics to make great cuisine.

As someone who went to junior HS and HS in black neighborhoods back when that was unheard of...allow me to tell the lifetime segregated class a few things.

1) You have NO IDEA how many slurs there are for white people or the broad and creative uses of all those hateful terms

2) if you are tough and take no "stuff", you earn respect...not enmity

3) put kids together, make them teammates and you will spawn friendships that last over 50 years

4) kids get tired of talking about race all the time when their friends and teammates are mixed

5) people don't like being divided, but they will bust each other's chops in a locker room

6) there are good people and bad people in every group...and it is patronizing and infantisizing to deny a group their ash holes

7) racism isn't overcome by lily white leftists and black hucksters, it is exacerbated

8) the way to overcome "white guilt" is to call bullish!t on it and get on with the business of becoming friends with Thomas Sowell, Ben Carson and thousands of great people and stop feeding the ugly beast of leftist race warfare
Many people do not know the origin of the subject's name. As it happened, when her mother discovered she was pregnant with yet another 'fatherless' child, she said, "Oh, whoopie!"
I never understood what that under talented,unfunny, smirky,
Uglified, Hollywood leftist idiot had that made her
Newsworthy. Oh, yeah....Whoopie 'Goldberg' a Jewish name.
Ha ! Ha! Such a name ! ho hum.
"That our nation’s “moral superiority” is mostly an accident of climate and geography never occurs to them."

Also size, which is related to climate and geography. A small country (in population) has great advantages over a large one. It's the same difference between a town and a city; it's easier to be anonymous and vanish in a city than in a town. But Canada has grown too much, which is why a lot of big nation problems are beginning to emerge. It's a perennial problem, because the wanna-be tyrants want to concentrate power, but the bigger a nation gets, the more impossible it is for a small group to control things. So gaining population of necessity makes everything harder.

However, seeing it's the anniversary of D-Day, let's not forget that a lot of Canadians hit the beaches in Normandy along with the Brits and Americans (and Poles, French and several others). Thanks, Canada!
I wasn't going to read this article but then I thought I would test myself. I knew what I would put in a comment before reading it so I thought I would read it and see if I would comment differently after reading it. No, I was right the first time. Who gives a shirt what Whoopi Goldberg thinks about anything.

Lol.

Or something.

Nothing like a little religious persecution of Catholics to make great cuisine.

2) if you are tough and take no "stuff", you earn respect...not enmity

You're exactly right - as you so often are - cfbleachers!

Yeah, I agree for the most part that everyone has some things in common and different, and that we shouldn't stereotype. Probably the only exception to that rule is the atheists, however. No matter what politics they may follow, no matter what spectrum, heck, no matter whether they are for liberty or collectivization, they all share one common goal: to persecute Christians and try to get rid of God. A particularly good example of this is Voltaire and Rousseau. They are both the exact opposites of each other in every way. Voltaire being for personal liberty at least officially, Rousseau for collectivization and an omnipotent state, yet both also advocated strongly for the destruction of religion, Christianity in particular, Voltaire even coming up with a six-step plan to ensure this sort of thing. Then we get into the Jacobins and Gironquists, Marx, Engels, Nietzsche, the Bolsheviks, Lenin, Stalin, the USSR, Red China both during Mao Zedong's time and currently, Khrushchev, Brezhnev, Khmer Rouge, North Korea, Che Guevara, Fidel Castro, FSLN, FARC, Frantz Fanon, Jean Paul Sartre, Jean Baudrillard, Michel Foucault, Viet Cong, Flannery O'Heary, Ho Chi Minh, Simone de Beauvoir, Ernest Hemmingway, Berthold Brecht, and events such as the French Revolution and various Communist revolutions, even the Cultural Revolution during the 1960s. Even then, I wouldn't really call that a stereotype because that's precisely how atheists of all stripes have behaved since the resurgence of it back during the so-called Age of Reason. Even Thomas Paine basically did this sort of thing as well, advocated the destruction of Christianity. That's not even getting into modern atheists such as Richard Dawkins, the late Christopher Hitchens, and the like.
"I’m a 50-year-old Canadian. I have never uttered the N-word. I don’t think my mouth can form the letters." Please see Roger's piece about moral narcissism above yours today, and consider revising your remarks.
I fear I am Canadian and just a little older than the divine Kathy and I used the evil word in the Jeremy Clarkson sense pretty much into my 20's. Then to mock the silly black people in NWA and, no doubt, in conversation on occasion, and, inferentially in a comment re woodpiles I left on her husband's blog today.

It's a word. Get over it.
Once upon a time about three months ago, an entertainment site, deals 100% with news from Bollywood and Hollywood, listed all top earning American film actors with a three line Bio: Country of origin, Net worth: and education. Of the 100 or so American movie Stars listed, only three or four had college degrees (included in this are two years of community college), completed high school - a handful and incomplete high school a majority of them. Ms. Goldberg prides herself having had an upbringing fraught with hardship, mostly self taught and learning to read, write and speak continental English (forsaking her Gullah heritage). Truly an accomplishment. Kudos. This, in no way qualifies her as an icon of probity and correctness. What is "correct" for Ms. Goldberg, may not be "correct" for a vast number of America's populace. Can't have it both ways. Besides, by acting on screen (small one) in talk shows, insisting upon her wordily views is akin to Louis XV ordering French citizens to "eat cake!" Or "if you don't like it, you can shove it!" Because, Ms. Goldberg says - it's "my way, or the highway!" Ms. Goldberg is a well paid, well admired, and idol of a swath of Americans! Doesn't give her any special powers. Just another American, with a gift for acting. Nothing special. Pray. Amen. God Bless America. Join a Tea Party. Register to vote and vote.
According to my Canadian Hubby, the Canadian equivalent of "American Racism" is "Language Politics" (the Quebecers getting their lace panties in a twist every time an "English Canadian" doesn't address them in French). Or Heaven Forbid someone forgets to put a sign in French.
A pilot friend of mine told me that Montreal is the only major airport in the world where the tower does NOT speak English.

Only French is permitted.

I suspect if the French-speaking crew is incapacitated, and some volunteer takes the controls and declares an emergency in English, he would be ignored.

I seriously doubt that.
I don't know whaer Kathy grew up but I am in my fifties and we used all the now banned words. We made no special bones about the N word (a ridiculous convention made necessary by gutless, mindless word bans on sites such as this). As a country with no history of black slavery it is only common sense that Canadians would treat the word with less shock and horror (however fake). Whoopy is right, and all you armchair Canadians falling over yourselves to attack a liberal are making fools of yourselves.
Thanks for your comment.
I feel the same way.
I wish people would watch an episode of "All in the Family",
to see how stupid we have become.
Until all words are acceptable to all people this asinine nonsense of banning words will just get worse.
Also in my 50's, and we used to live by, "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but names will never hurt me".
While I think Whoopi is a dummy, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.
Her comments about racial words are nonsensical, but what she was trying to say about rape was in fact true.
Her point (I believe), was simply that because a woman claims to have been raped, does not make it so. And the degree of violence can cover a broad spectrum.
I think you're too forgiving: Whoopi made excuses for Roman Polanski drugging and forcibly raping a 13-year-old girl.

It's the Hollywood version of Sharia Law: Forensic evidence and the testimony of the victim count for nothing: In order to convict you need the testimony of 4 liberal celebrities.
Whoopi Goldberg Is Wrong About ... most everything.
ftfy.