3 Tips for Falling Asleep at Night

From someone who knows what it means to fail.

P. David Hornik

May 1, 2014 - 11:00 am

PJ-sleep tips-1

Getting to sleep at night has never been one of my talents. As a kid, fears kept me awake. As a teenager, I found the night the most intense time and didn’t understand why one was supposed to sleep during it. As an adult… if it wasn’t one thing that kept me awake at night, it was another.

Just recently I’ve been on a new regimen, and it’s actually working. There are three things I’ve been doing differently, and I’ve been sleeping with little or no trouble most nights. As for why I made these three changes, it did not come from any conscious decision but, apparently, from something on a subconscious level, some push for greater purity, a byproduct of which has been successful sleep.

I should add that if exercise is not one of the three things, it’s not because I don’t practice it but because I’ve already been practicing it for decades. I find it indispensable to decent mental and physical functioning. No, by itself it did not solve my sleep problem; but without it I wouldn’t have slept at all.

Try a talk with God. I find a review of my day with God promotes the quiet mind needed for sleep.
۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞­۩ஜ
Start making cash right now... Get more time with your family by doing jobs that only require for you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $8012 a month. I've started this job and I've never been happier and now I am sharing it with you, so you can try it too. You can check it out here...

www.jobscs.com

۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞­۩ஜ
LET’S HAVE A PRODUCTIVE 2014
CLICK THE LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION
I once saw a birthday card with advice from Bullwinkle The Moose on how to live to be a hundred.
"First get to be ninety nine and then be very, very careful."

I have often used a similar plan for getting to sleep.
"First get very, very tired."

It works but the problem is that it doesn't allow enough time to actually sleep so in the morning you're still tired.

I think the Hornik plan sounds better.
I like Mozart and I like to read in bed, which I used to do until OGE (Old Guy Eyes) caught up with me and I needed reading glasses.
It just seemed like too much of a hassle.
I think I"ll try again it with the music.
When you close your eyes, you generally see a swirl of colors - pay attention to that swirl of colors, focus on it, try to follow what is happening....

I was told that in 1973, and it has worked every night I've had any issues falling asleep.
The latest word on the street, for "older" people, but maybe not just older people, is that cherry juice is a sleep aid.

I have a friend who constantly had trouble falling asleep. I asked him at about what time did he consume his final dose of caffeine. He told me he had a coffee after supper and after I finished laughing at him I told him to quit the caffeine at lunchtime instead. The fool was soon sleeping better.

As for me, I have found something that helps me a lot. It's not drugs. It's ASMR. If you're having trouble sleeping late at night, google ASMR. It works for me.
Good point about the coffee: sometime i woke up at night and it would be maybe an hour before i remembered that i had coffee after lunch! Now i stop drinking coffee well before lunchtime. Tea after lunch seems to be ok, though, in small doses.
A comment on the Mozart piece. I was unfamiliar with it, but found it quintessentially Mozart: beautiful, complex, surprising and exhilarating, and something only he could have written. It was also magnificently played. Can you tell me by whom?
A talkbacker to the video says:

"This is Henryk Szeryng playing together with the New Philharmonia Orchestra under Sir Alexander Gibson. Visit killerecho, he's uploaded the first movement in a slightly lower pitch but I've checked it minutely and I bet it is...! Just a little extra: the 1st movement ends precisely at 9:45 in both vids."

Although I am not an ace on performers the violinist does sound to me like the wonderful Szeryng.
If only the video had a title written at top left, then all would be answered.
I can't read at bedtime. Why read something that isn't mentally stimulating? And if it's mentally stimulating I can't put it down.

I find anything that quiets my mind, without requiring effort to keep it quiet, works well.
Not a bad idea!
The 2 best tips that i could give, are to cut down on carbohydrates, to blindfold yourself with a scarf, and to avoid people who stress you (that might involve isolation from extended family, and changing job/boss).

WRT the 3 Hornik tips:
Alcohol: a less drastic measure is to stop drinking at 10pm or thereabout. Not that i do, but then i have little trouble sleeping.

Music: what i listen to, depends on time of day. With morning coffee, i favor something feral, like the Rite of Spring, or the soundtrack of Conan the Barbarian (1982 version). Vivaldi is also a good way to start the day.
But i am surprised to see Bruckner described as a master depth psychologist: to me, Bruckner's music does not sound human but Divine, like Bach's. To my ears, Mozart achieves that level only in the piano concerto no.24.
Of course, that music is Divine does not mean that it is relaxing, and vice versa.

Reading: i prefer to do my heavy reading from hard copy at the beach. Strange, but true. At home, i like to listen to music while i read; except when i read a few pages in bed, before or after sleep. These tend to be from a book that requires little mental effort, because when i read it i'm already half asleep, or only half awake.
This is wonderful! Reading and music are obvious. (Who's more brilliant and comforting than Mozart, though Chopin comes very close.) The alcohol is interesting. I usually have a martini, the most lethal of cocktails, at the end of the day. Perhaps it is a serious detriment to serious sleep. Worth a try to avoid. Anyway, thanks so much.
My "2 best tips" already grew to 3 in the writing process, but i forgot a 4th: stretching the calf muscles before turning off the light. It's been so long that i've been doing it, i don't even think about it anymore. (Take care to do it properly, so as not to strain the lower back or the knees.)
Flossing might also help, though it should be done anyway.
>> Reading and music are obvious.
Am I the only person that can not hear when I'm reading? I was reading something and my DH skated up behind me on a wooden floor, touched me and scared the daylights out of me. I couldn't/didn't hear him!
Try a benadryl, and ear plugs. Works for me and my wife.